Searching for the best office chair under 300 dollars?
You came to the right place. Since you made it here, you are likely on the prowl for mid-to-high end office chair under 300 dollars.
Which is a big purchase for a chair.
That being said, it’s important to do your research and understand your options. With all of the office chairs on the market, finding the right one can prove difficult. Especially with the amount of money being spent on an office chair. This article focuses on chairs in the 200-300 range. And, although this is a higher price point for many, there are tons of options in this range.
We’ve conducted the research to make your choice a little easier. In this guide, we include 6 of our top picks, with a range of styles from ergonomic task chairs to larger traditional style chairs with bonded leather material. Let’s get started.
In a hurry? Here are the top 3 picks on this list:
What to Expect from an Office Chair for Under 300 Dollars
This is a very popular price bracket, and for good reason. Here’s why: You can still find a very nice office chair with high-end comforts, ergonomic design and adjustability options without breaking the bank. Additionally, at this price point, you have a lot of variety when it comes to different styles.
We talk in great length about all the options to look at when evaluating an office chair in our complete buyer’s guide. But here are the key things to look for in this sub-300 price range:
Depending on your preference for style and long-term comfort, you should expect to find high-quality materials, such as:
- Breathable and durable mesh: A high quality mesh should be non-abrasive. It should also not stretch too much, or at all, so the form of the chair stays tight to the contours of your body and supportive over longer periods.
- Comfortable leatherette or bonded leather: Although this price point might not offer many genuine leather options, most modern task and executive style chairs are made from PU based leather or bonded leather. This materials is easy to clean and maintain. Although it typically will not age as well or naturally as genuine leather, it is generally durable, comfortable, and stylish.
- Solid base and frame materials: The frame and base of your chair is not something you should need to worry about. First, always check the recommended weight capacity. Then make sure that the materials are strong and resistant. Here, we’re looking for things like steel reinforced frames, solid cast nylon bases and heavy duty casters.
- Speaking of casters, you always want to look for durable and quiet casters that suitable for your specific flooring (i.e. polyurethane casters for hard floor surfaces; hard plastic or nylon for carpeted floors)
Solid Five Star Base with 360 Swivel
A good office chair in the sub-300 dollar range should still have a very solid five star base with quality casters for mobility. You should have a full 360 degrees of swivel, as with any true task chair, and a base that will hold up over the years.
Here you’re looking for the adjustments that matter to you. So, even though might not get the entire range of adjustability options available with a state-of-the art ergonomic design with a chair that’s below $300, you should still be able to choose from options like:
- Height adjustment, controlled with a safe and reliable pneumatic cylinder, with a range of about 15 – 21 inches from the floor to the center of the seat pan to accommodate different heights, leg lengths, and desk setups.
- A tilt range of at least 90 to 110 degrees. Many chairs have a fixed tilt adjustment where you can lock the backrest in at your desired angled. Then a tension adjustment to control the resistance of the recline.
- Lumbar support. Not all chairs in this range will have a separate lumbar adjustment setting, but if this is important, try to find an office chair with thickened lumbar support cushioning. You can also add a special lumbar pillow to your chair. Some chairs, like the Sihoo Ergonomics featured below, allow for control over the height and depth of the lumbar pressure.
- Armrests that are height adjustable. That is the minimum requirement, as you you need to have your arms at the right position when working for correct ergonomic posture. Adjusting the height so your arms are parallel with the floor and your wrists can stay level when typing is important. But some chairs that are under $300 will also have rotating, folding, and/or extendable arm rests for further customization.
- Seat tilt: This is an added bonus on some chairs which allows you to change the angle of the seat to reduce pressure on the back of your thighs and create a more active work posture
Ergonomic design is a fundamental aspect that applies to any good office chair you can find for less than $300.
Basically, we’re talking about a chair that promotes a healthy sitting posture over longer periods and allows for significant adjustability to support the many small and large movements we make throughout the day.
This would include the options mentioned above, plus additional features like an integrated headrest if you need neck support, a waterfall seat edge to reduce leg pressure and improve blood flow, a contoured S-shaped seat back to support the shape of your spine and keep constant contact on the back-rest, and active resistance to encourage a more upright sitting posture.
Other things to look at:
As with any piece of furniture, make sure the style is consistent with the look of your office or home workspace. There are so many chairs in this category – you should be able to find one that fits the bill.
For example, there are modern and sleek mesh task chairs, classic leatherette executive chairs, and chairs with wooden frame or accent materials for a more traditional look.
Correct size specifications and weight capacity
Always make sure the chair is suitable for your height and weight. As a basic guideline, the seat should be at least 18” wide and the backrest between 12 – 20” wide. But you may need different dimensions. All seats should include these basic specifications, along with the maximum weight capacity.
Easy assembly with clear instructions
Your chair shouldn’t take hours to assemble. It should come with a very clear set of instructions to make assembly quick and painless so you can get to work. Always check the reviews to get a real sense of how hard assembly is for any particular chair. Also, if the weight of the chair is a concern, try to find a smaller, mesh office chair for easier transport and assembly.
The Best Office Chairs for Under 300 Dollars
Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair
This chair comes in just under the $300 dollar price point (as of this writing) and provides the range of control and long term comfort you would expect as you creep up into the next price bracket. So, while you’re not getting the brand name mark-up or soup-to-nuts ergonomic features you would find with, for instance, a Herman Miller, you do get a nice bang for your buck.
In looking at the key features, let’s start with the mesh material. This chair has cool, breathable mesh from top to bottom. Literally. The head-rest, backrest and seat are all made from high-quality breathable mesh. If you like mesh – and we know some people still prefer genuine leather, bonded leather or faux leather – this is a big plus. It means that the chair will serve you well over long sessions of sitting, even in hotter temps.
Next, the Gabrylly ergonomic office chair has the typical adjustability options you would expect in any standard ergonomic task chair, plus a couple other settings we appreciate.
For one, the headrest is both height and tilt adjustable. Then you have the tilting backrest, with a range of 90 to 120 degrees of recline. It also has a tension control knob to control the flex of the tilt.
But what we really love are the foldable armrests. While you can change the height of the armrests, which is typical with a standard ergonomic task chair, you can also fold them up so they’re completely out of the way. And you can rotate the armrests within a range of 45 degrees for additional customization.
A couple other things to note: This chair comes with quiet PU casters, which are ideal for hard flooring surfaces (i.e. hardwoods). And it has a very solid and durable five-star base. Coupled with the modern design and ergonomic contours, this chair is at the top of our list when it comes to a great office chair for just below $300.
- All around comfort, durability and adjustability for extended periods of time at the desk
- Nice modern looks and full mesh material
- Foldable and rotating armrests for additional room
- Relatively easy assembly (estimated 20 mins)
Weight capacity is 280 lbs. While this is suitable for a wide range of buyers, it does not fit the criteria of a big and tall chair. While this chair is roomy and the specs would suggest that it is perfect for larger customers, please keep in mind that the weight capacity is less than a typical big and tall chair would support.
Sihoo Ergonomics M18
Sihoo is a Chinese based company that makes ergonomically designed office chairs. Their M-series office chairs offer a full range of adjustable settings and modern styling at a reasonable price point.
For example, the Sihoo Ergonomics (M-18 model) is an office chair that just looks like it should be in a more expensive category. Plus, it has the features you would expect from a high end chair.
As for ergonomics, it’s the primary focus of this chair (hence the name). Starting with a multi-rotational headrest with adjustable height, angle and spin, and down to a height and depth adjustable lumbar support area. The recline range on this chair is from 90 to 125 degrees with locking tilt and a tension adjustment knob. So you can lock the chair at your desired recline angle and adjust the tension while in that position. This is a cool feature that we would expect to find in even the highest end ergonomic task chairs.
Other nice features on the Sihoo include multi-surface PU casters for a variety of floor surfaces, stylish and sturdy 5 star base made from aluminum, and a densely padded W-shaped seat with cotton fabric coupled with a modern mesh backrest.
You get all of this for under 300, which is a whole lot at this price point (although definitely check current prices).
- Full range of adjustable settings, including adjustable lumbar support and headrest and tilt locking backrest
- Nice modern styling and ergonomic shapes
- Sturdy and attractive aluminum base
- Available in black, gray and orange
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- Doesn’t have a seat pan tilt mechanism
Starspace High-Back Big & Tall Office Chair
Best big and tall office chair for under 300 dollars
This is one of our favorite all around office chairs in the big and tall category.
The Starspace High-Back Big & Tall office chair has a weight capacity of up to 400 lbs, so it definitely fits the bill of a true high weight capacity office chair. But there are some other essential features that make this chair a favorite among buyers in the sub-300 dollar office chair bracket.
First, this chair has a lot of padding. And just where you need it. The Starspace gives nice thick, high-density cushioning support throughout the entire chair, hitting key points in the lumbar and upper back regions. It also has a padded headrest, padded armrest, and even the height adjustment handle is padded. These are cice touches for a roomy executive style office chair.
But it also includes a basic ergonomic S-shaped design to support a more active and engaged working posture.
If you’re looking at larger office chairs, you’ll of course want make sure the specs are on target. Here, the backrest is 26 inches wide, with 16.5 to 20.3 inch height range. The total height of this chair is 47 to 50.8 inches tall when fully extended. These measurements are ideal for customers that are over 6 feet tall. And for less than 300 dollars, you’re getting a lot of comfort to go with it.
- Comes with a heavy-duty metal swivel base (should be standard on any big and tall chair in our opinion)
- 90 to 120 degree tilt range
- Nice waterfall front edge on the seat to reduce pressure beneath the thighs (very helpful if sitting for long periods)
- Nice bonded leather material to give it a polished look
- Assembly can take a little longer with this chair
- The headrest, while sufficiently padded, is not adjustable
Clatina 247 (Mesh-1 Model)
The Clatina 247 is a stylish office chair with modern looks. At first, it might not look like this chair has as many adjustable features or bells and whistles as other sub-300 dollar chairs in this list. But there’s more to this chair than meets the eye. In fact, this one of our favorite all purpose high-back task chairs. Here’s why.
The Clatina 247 Mesh-1 is really designed for putting in long hours at the desk. Hence the name “247”. It really is a so-called 24 hour office chair.
To earn this distinction, the Clatina offers a nice selection of ergonomic features that facilitate healthy postural positions and overall supportive comfort, including a seat that is both depth and height adjustable, height adjustable lumbar support (to pinpoint that specific region), and fully adjustable armrests with height, width and angle controls. Also, the Clatina 247 has a tilt range of 45 degrees (from 90 – 135), which is the broadest tilt range on this list.
For a somewhat minimalist design, this chair also has a higher weight capacity, at a max limit of 275 lbs. With a high backrest and wide seat dimensions (with depth adjustment of 3.15 inches), this chair would satisfy many buyers in the big and tall category.
The Clatina also has nice high density foam padding for the seat, combined with durable and breathable mesh for the seat-back. We find that the cushion and mesh combination typically works well for 24 hour style office chairs.
While we love the looks and subtle ergonomic features of this chair, there are some design issues to be aware of. First, there is no headrest. While the high seat-back almost makes up for this, many customers would like the option to have better neck support, especially if we’re talking about extended periods of time at the desk. If this is a concern, you can actually buy a separate headrest attachment for this chair that is both height and angle adjustable. No tools necessary to install.
- Great modern style chair with ergonomic features built-in
- Sturdy steel 5-star base
- High density foam cushioning
- 45 degree tilt range with tension control
- Some buyers have reported defective products. This is always a risk when purchasing online. While this isn’t a strike against the overall build quality of the chair, it does indicate that you should do your due diligence before purchasing
- No warranty information readily available
LexMod Jive Ribbed High Back Executive Office Chair
Want a minimalist design that doesn’t lack back support and comfort? Look no further, the LexMod Jive Ribbed Executive Chair is sleek, comfortable and ergonomic. Plus, it comes in many different colors – so if Terracotta isn’t quite your jive, check out the other colors this best office chair under 300 dollars comes in.
The LexMod Jive is vinyl, swivels 360 degrees and is height and tilt adjustable. As we mentioned earlier, finding the right style is one of the keys to finding the right chair in this price range. If you have a modern office and want something that is minimal and stylish, with several color choices, this is a great option.
Want to know more about what makes the LexMod Jive truly unique? Check out these features:
- High back and lumbar support to promote great posture
- Adjustable height and tilt
- Chrome plated aluminum base and armrests
- Cushioned seat, back and armrests fitted with vinyl
- Looks great and lasts for a long time; very durable office chair
- Still not as comfortable or supportive as other ergonomic task chairs or executive style office chairs (it is a minimal concept after all)
La-Z-Boy Hyland Executive Bonded Leather Office Chair
When it comes to supremely comfortable and supportive office chairs with bonded leather upholstery and classic looks, we’re big fans of the La-Z-Boy line of executive office chairs. Yes, these chairs are bulkier than some of the modern ergonomic mesh chairs featured on this list. And this style might not suit everyone. But if you want classic comfort, this is where the Hyland excels.
This chair comes with La-Z-Boy’s layered memory foam cushioning, padded armrests and AIR lumbar technology. The cushioning is deep and supportive, so it will hold up over long periods of sitting.
It comes standard with tilt control, height adjustment and bonded leather that is incredibly soft and smooth. The wood grain arm rests and base add an element of sophistication as well. But keep in mind that these chairs are not light or well-ventilated. If you need breathability, be sure to check out a mesh chair instead.
- Advanced cushion layering system made with ComfortCore Plus and Memory Foam
- Advanced lumbar support technology that adjusts with each persons sitting style
- Layered cushioning and padding system that reduces strain on pressure points
- Adjustable height and tilt
- AIR Lumbar Breathability Design
- Weight capacity is 250 lbs. For a chair of this size and caliber, we would expect a little higher.
See the full La-Z-Boy Hyland Executive Review
Check back as we continually update this guide to stay current with the best chair models in the 200 to 300 dollar price range.
As you’ll notice, you can find very high-quality chairs in this category, although often without the high-end brand recognition. If you’re OK with that, as most of us are when just searching for a comfortable chair with correct dimensions that will fit and look good in our workspace, there are some great finds out there.
Hopefully the 6 chairs in this list will give you a good starting point.