We get it. You don’t want to cram yourself into a flimsy office chair with limited cushioning and support. If you’re on the XL side of things, you need a high-quality big and tall office chair that’s designed with larger users in mind.
This means a chair with sufficient width, weight capacity, and height, plus the right mix of materials, support, comfort and durability.
In this post, we’ll dive right into our list of the best big and tall office chairs available right now.
If you’re in a hurry, here are the three top picks:
We base these decisions on extensive market research, plus a deep understanding of what factors to look for when choosing a chair of this caliber, including a weight capacity of at least 400 lbs (with a few up to 500 lbs).
We’ll cover those factors in much more detail below.
But first, let’s get to the chairs.
Best Big and Tall Office Chairs
A Quick Note About ANSI/BIFMA Standards
Throughout this guide, you’ll see us reference the ANSI/BIFMA Standard X5.11. What this means is that the chair meets the minimum criteria for Large Occupant Office Chairs established by the commercial furniture industry. Specifically, these chairs can support at least 400 lbs with a minimum seat width of 22 inches.
If you want to combine the breathability and air-flow of mesh with the benefits of a chair designed with big and tall customers in mind, you should take a look at the ever-popular SPACE Air Grid Big and Tall chair.
This well-built chair, with a simple and clean design, has a 400 lb weight capacity that’s perfect for larger customers.
It also has roomier proportions than your average office chair, including a seat that’s 22 inches wide and 21 inches deep, and a tall backrest at 23.75 inches.
With these expanded dimensions, this chair is optimized for taller customers in the 6 foot and UP category.
The Air Grid comes with a nice selection of adjustability options for a chair of this stature. For example, you can adjust the lumbar support piece to fit snugly against your lower back. And you can also adjust the armrests by width and height.
Of course, it also comes with the standard options like pneumatic height adjustment, tilt tension and tilt lock, so you can customize the fit of this chair while working.
It’s also important to note that the SPACE Air Grid Big and Tall chair is manufactured by Office Star, a well-known manufacturer in the office furniture industry.
They back this chair with a life-time warranty on key parts, including the pneumatic cylinder, control mechanism, base and casters. There is a 3-year warranty on upholstery fabric and foam against wear and deterioration.
If you need support up to 400 lbs, we highly recommend this chair. It’s priced right and delivers on the basic needs of comfort, adjustability and support. Customer service is excellent too.
- 400 lb weight capacity
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Durable metal base with carpet-friendly casters
- Large and wide dimensions, plus excellent breathability with the Air Grid design
- Comfortable 2.5” thick seat with adjustable armrests (height and width)
- If you’re sharing this chair with a smaller family-member or co-worker, it might just be too big for them.
- We have seen complaints about durability of the pneumatic height adjustment cylinder. The company provides a lifetime warranty on replacement of this part.
- Dimensions- Maximum Seat Height: 23.25" | Minimum Seat Height: 19.25" | Seat Back Height: 23.75" | Seat Back Width: 20.75" | Seat Bottom Depth: 20" | Seat Bottom Width: 19.25" | Seat Bottom Thickness: 2.5" | Product Weight: 41 lbs
- One touch pneumatic Seat Height adjustment
What’s unique about this chair is the combination of big and tall attributes – high weight capacity and plenty of width – plus adjustment and positioning features that you only find on high-end ergonomic chairs.
For example, the Wave is designed with both synchro tilt and knee-tilt functionality. The synchro-tilt allows you to lean back while maintaining a parallel seat, encouraging better back alignment and improved circulation.
The knee-tilt keeps the front edge of the chair closer to the floor when reclining, so you sit in a more neutral position.
With the Wave, you get these comfortable features along with a stylish, soft and breathable mesh fabric.
The chair can support up to 450 lbs, and keeps you sturdy and mobile with a reinforced resin base that can swivel and move smoothly on 5 durable casters. Other features include lumbar support, tilt lock, tilt tension adjustment, and a pneumatic seat height adjuster.
Even the wave-like design on this chair serves a purpose. It provides added width for more comfort at both the mid-back and high back sections.
- 450 pound weight capacity
- Breathable mesh fabric on seat and backrest
- Synchro-tilt and knee-tilt mechanisms for balanced positioning
- Lumbar support and extra width
- Backed by HON’s 5-year limited warranty
- Not the best fit for all customers
- Armrests only height and width adjustable
- Made of Metal, Mesh & Leather | Easy assembly required
- Chair dimensions – 25.63" D x 30.25" W x 42.88" H | Seat dimensions – 19” D x 22” W | Arm adjustment – 21” W x 3”-9” H | Back width – 23” | Weight capacity – 450 lbs. | Unit weight – 59 lbs. | Lumbar support fixed
If looking you’re for a budget-friendly office chair that can still support up to 400 lbs, take a look at the Clatina Big and Tall Executive chair.
This chair has a clean, simple and modern look, although with limited adjustability options. For example, it does have tilt tension, but you cannot lock into place in a reclined position. Also, the armrests are only height adjustable.
That being said, this is still a high-quality chair that’s built to meet the ANSI/BIFMA standards for larger users. With it mesh backrest, you get plenty of ventilation.
Plus, the Clatina comes with a thick and dense seat cushion, 22” wide by 19” deep, with a comfortable passive front edge. What all this means is that you get a modern looking chair with lots of room and stability, without the some of the bells and whistles like an additional headrest.
And, like any decent office chair, it does have a reliable pneumatic lift, so you can easily adjust the height. It’s also height adjustable by over 3 inches (from 41.7” – 44.9”).
The Clatina comes with a 5-year limited warranty, plus a 90-day refund window.
- Modern looking big and tall chair at an affordable price-point
- Wide seat and high weight capacity (400 lbs) that meets ANSI/BIFMA X5.11 standards
- Breathable mesh with thick seat cushion and passive front edge
- Although this is labeled an executive style chair, the design may be too simple and adjustability too limited for some
- Does not include a headrest
- Armrests only height adjustable
- BIFMA CERTIFICATION No. 5.11: This executive chair is made with fine quality craftsmanship and premium materials, a durable sturdy construction with BIFMA certification X5.11, the weight capacity reaches up to 400lbs.
- COMFORT IS KEY: Featuring extra thickened seat cushion together with ventilated mesh backrest and armrests with four levels height adjustable that provide you an excellent sitting experience.
One of the industry standards in big and tall chair design, the Flash Hercules actually supports up to 500 lbs.
With this higher weight capacity and a 22” wide seat, this chair easily meets the ANSI/BIFMA standards for large occupant seating. And with its exaggerated waterfall front seat edge and extra thick padding at the headrest and countered back design, you’ll find that it’s priced reasonably for what you get.
This version features a PU leather upholstery with a mesh trim. While this type of leather is durable, soft and easy to maintain, it doesn’t appeal to everyone. Some even think it cheapens the overall look of the chair.
In all versions, you still get the 500 lb weight capacity and adjustability options.
Speaking of adjustability, the Hercules is built with an easy pneumatic height lift, tilt lock and tilt tension controls. The armrests are fixed on this chair, though.
If you need armrest adjustability, definitely check out the mesh task version of the Hercules with fold up armrests (and a clean and contemporary look).
- 500 lb weight capacity with wide seat dimensions
- Sloping waterfall seat edge for improved comfort and circulation
- Padded head rest and contoured back design for better lumbar support
- Mesh trim sections for improved breathability
- Some customers are not fans of the PU synthetic leather upholstery
- Plastic pieces on the armrest and cylinder cheapen the overall look and feel of this chair
- When you spend more time in your office chair than your bed, a great chair is essential. This adjustable Big & Tall executive office chair boasts an adjustable headrest and generous padding in the back, seat and arms to cradle you in comfort
- [_Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17_] High back design with ratchet height adjustable headrest and built-in lumbar support, 360 Degree swivel seat with waterfall front edge reduces pressure on the legs
If you’re looking for a fabric chair for big and tall customers, this chair from Vinsetto is our top choice.
Most chairs in this range are either leather (usually faux or bonded leather) or a combination of different mesh and synthetic textiles. So, it’s refreshing to find a chair like the Vinsetto Big and Tall, which comes upholstered in fabric with a dark or light gray linen finish.
Plus, this chair can support up to 500 lbs. So it definitely belongs on this list.
With that weight capacity, plus 24.5” of seat width, this chair far exceeds the ANSI/BIFMA standards for larger users.
Like their massage office chairs, the Vinsetto big and tall chairs are known for their comfort and roominess.
For example, this chair also gives you over 21” of seat depth plus a backrest that’s 23.5” wide by 26” high. Basically, it’s a big, roomy office chair with padded armrests.
Unfortunately, the Vinsetto doesn’t let you recline back into a locked position. You can rock back and forth, and control the rocking resistance with a tilt tension adjustment knob, but you’re not tilting back into napping mode with this chair. Despite it looks, this is actually a real work chair.
The Vinsetto sits on a sturdy five-star metal base and includes a heavy-duty gas lift to adjust the seat from 21.25″ to 24.25″ high.
- Soft fabric upholstery with modern linen finish
- Thick padded armrests
- Extra-wide seat and weight capacity up to 500 lbs
- Armrests are fixed and tilt adjustability is limited
- Fabric is not as breathable as mesh and harder to keep clean
If you want a plush and comfy leather chair, look no further than the Starspace big and tall. Also featured in our list of great chairs for less than $300, this is chair has received rave reviews from a number of customers based on the shape, materials and overall durability.
The first thing to note about the Starspace is the leather material. Ok, so it’s not real leather, but rather a composite version of leather known as “bonded leather”.
We explain exactly what this means in this post about leather types, but basically, it’s made from scraps of real and faux leather. What you end up with is a chair with leather looks and feel, but at a lower cost.
Some customers don’t like bonded leather, and that can be a knock on the Starspace. But with its dramatic waterfall front edge and high-density spring reinforced seat, the comfort factor usually wins out.
The armrests are thick and padded, and there is a high backrest with extra width and padding to support your head and neck.
This chair also meets the ANSI/BIFMA large occupant standards, with a seat width of 24” and weight capacity of 400lbs. The backrest is actually 26” wide, so this is a very roomy chair.
The Starspace comes with a 1-year warranty, which is less than other chairs featured on this list. Plus, the chair can require additional assembly time. But that’s not uncommon when you’re dealing with a heavy, bulky chair like this. Hey, at least we know it’s well-built.
- Thick seat cushion with 5” height and inner-spring support
- Tilt rock that goes back to 120 degrees, along with tension adjustment
- Very nice waterfall front seat edge for improved comfort
- S-Shaped backrest design with built-in lumbar support
- Assembly can be tedious and time-consuming
- 1-year warranty is less than many other competitive models
- ✅ TAKE THE FUSS OUT OF WORKING: with our new and advanced STARSPACE comfortable desk chair! The STARSPACE executive chair is significantly taller and wider than other office chairs out in the market. With these measurements, our office chair can give the comfort needed to any user. With exceptionally large seating cushion you don't have to worry anymore if you are taller or bigger, now we have got the ideal executive office chair designed just for you
- ✅ GET YOUR CHAIR TO DO ALL THE HEAVY LIFTING: Our comfy reclining office chair is designed to withstand incredibly heavy duty. It is equipped with an extra-strong metal base and a seat plate ready to endure all the hard work you have stored for it. Weight capacity up to 400 lbs. The STARSPACE high back office chair is here to help you relax comfortably feeling safe. Its stable and sturdy structure will ensure an effortless working experience
The standout feature of this big and tall office chair from HON is the breathable mesh back, great for preventing getting sweaty in a hot office or building. Furthermore, this mesh back stretches to reduce pressure points.
But there’s another stand out feature besides. This big and tall chair, for all intents and purposes, looks exactly like any standard regular black office chair. The advantage to this is that the user doesn’t feel single out as needing a special chair just for them, so it’s great for the colleague who is sensitive about their weight.
It has a heavy duty metal base, which is very stable and supportive, thanks to its 5 pointed star feet, which helps to ensure that the chair is in no danger of ever tipping over.
Unlike cheaper standard office chairs, this chair features an adjustable lumbar support that molds around your back to give you the support you need as you sit.
The seat itself features a waterfall edge, which won’t dig into his thighs just in front of your knees the way cheaper chairs do.
Other than that it has all the features of regular modern office chairs, it has a fully adjustable seat height, a 360 degree swivel capacity, and smooth running castors.
Moreover, HON is so confident in this chair that they provide a full 3-year warranty.
- Breathable mesh back
- Can take up to 400 pounds (181.44 kg)
- The seat back stretches
- Has a heavy-duty metal base
- Fully adjustable seat height
- 360 degree swivel capacity
- Smooth running castors
- Full 3-year warranty
- Premium product at a premium price
- Not as easy to clean as bonded leather
- ERGONOMIC POSTURE SUPPORT: Adjustable lumbar control puts extra lower back support right where you need it
- DIMENSIONS - Overall Depth: 30.31 in | Overall Height: 42.91 in | Overall Width: 30.31 in | Arm Adjustmentn - Maximum Height: 8.4 in | Maximum Width: 30 in | Minimum Height: 5.9 in | Minimum Width: 22.5 in | Arm Maximum Height: 31.5 in | Arm Minimum Height: 25.6 in | Seat Overall Depth: 20.9 in | Seat Width: 22 in |Back Width: 22 in
We couldn’t complete this list without mentioning what is, in our opinion, the gold standard for big and tall chair design: The Steelcase Leap Plus.
Although much pricier than the other chairs on our list, the Leap Plus brings another level of comfort and adjustability to the large chair category.
Everything from the flexing seat edges and full 4D armrest adjustability, to the adjustable lumbar support and breathable fabric choices, is designed to give you a chair that moves with you, keeps you comfortable and supports a healthy posture. And you get a chair that supports up to 500 lbs.
Also, with the seat width of 22.75″ and 500 lbs weight capacity, this chair one easily qualifies for the ANSI/BIFMA standards.
Like the standard model, the Leap V2, the Plus version also has a variable backstop that allows you to recline and lock into place wherever you want. This is a premium feature you won’t find on other chairs in this list.
Of course, you also can still rock back and forth and control the tension. The Plus also has a depth adjustable seat and pneumatic height lift. Basically, if there’s a way to adjust an office chair, it’s built right into the Leap.
Steelcase has been manufacturing office furniture since 1912. So, yeah, there’s some history there. Which is why you’ll get a lifetime warranty on frame and structural components, a 10-year warranty on glides and the pneumatic cylinder, and a 5-year warranty on the fabric.
- A fully adjustable, ergonomic office chair that supports up to 500 lbs.
- Comes in a variety of breathable fabrics with unique features like adjustable lumbar support, passive seat edge that flexes, and variable backstop.
- Roomier dimensions than the standard Leap but all the same ergonomic benefits.
- This is an expensive office chair. But you get what you pay for.
- If you’re looking for a bigger, bulkier, executive style chair, this design will fall short.
Big and Tall Chair Buyer’s Guide
More than just chairs that are designed for taller people or chairs with extra width, a true big and tall office combines all these elements, plus more, into a single package.
To start with, the chair needs to have a higher weight capacity than the average task chair.
Many companies and websites promote big and tall chairs with weight capacities of around 350 lbs, and even less in some cases.
However, we think any chair in this category should offer at least 400 lbs of weight capacity.
That’s not only because it’s the minimum set by the ANSI/BIFMA X.5 11 standard. It also indicates that a chair is going to be well-made, durable, sturdy, and tested at higher load capacities. You’ll appreciate these qualities in any chair.
And many customers, regardless of their actual weight, look for high weight capacity as an assurance of overall build quality.
We think that makes sense. That’s why every chair on this list meets this minimum 400 lb weight threshold.
Obviously, any chair in this category needs to have bigger dimensions than the average office chair. But what does this mean?
Ideally, you want to have a minimum seat and backrest width of 20” and minimum seat depth of 19”. However, a preferable seat width is at least 22”, as stated in the ANSI/BIFMA guidelines. But some users will need less width and a maybe higher backrest or deeper seat.
To see how an average big and tall chair compares to a popular ergonomic task chair, let’s take a look at the following table:
|Clatina Big and Tall Executive Model||Funria Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair|
|Seat Width: 24.5”||Seat Width: 20.9”|
|Seat Cushion Height (thickness): 5.1”||Seat Cushion Height (thickness): 3”|
|Backrest Width: 22”||Backrest Width: 21”|
|Total Chair Height: 41.4” – 43.9”||Total Chair Height: 39” – 43”|
|Weight Capacity: 400 lbs||Weight Capacity: 300 lbs|
Although the Funria has generous dimensions for a standard size task chair, you can see how the Clatina still adds an inch or two to height and width dimensions, plus a significant boost in weight capacity.
Frame and Base
To adequately support a higher weight capacity, a big and tall chair should sit on a five-star base made from heavy-duty metal or reinforced resin. And we also look for details like smooth dual wheel casters and 360-swivel for plenty of stability and mobility.
Of course, the base will also house the pneumatic gas cylinder that allows you to adjust the height. With an extra large chair, this piece is especially important.
It needs to be effortless, reliable and safe.
While we feel confident that most chairs these days come with lift mechanisms that meet rigorous safety standards (see SGS), the reliability and functionality of the cylinders can be a concern for customers. Make sure you read reviews carefully to spot any red flags about pneumatic lift mechanisms on a high capacity chair. And always test this right away once you assemble a new chair.
Cushioning and Materials
The frame and base is important for stability and mobility, but a large capacity office chair also needs to be comfortable. In addition to ergonomic design (covered below), the most important things to keep in mind when it comes to comfort are the materials and cushioning.
For many customers in this category, breathable materials are a must. Luckily, you can find dozens of chairs in this category with mesh backrests and seating, or a combination of breathable fabrics and textiles.
If you tend to get hot and uncomfortable during the workday, make sure your chair is upholstered in a material that allows for lots of airflow. Looking at the list above, you’ll see that the SPACE Air Grid is a great pick for this reason.
The cushioning should be firm and supportive. You don’t want a seat that’s too soft, as this will pack down over time and become much less comfortable the more you sit in the chair.
Instead, look for high-density foam cushioning that maintains its shape and support. Some chairs, like the Starspace above, even come with an inner spring system to bolster the cushioning.
In addition to high-density foam cushioning, you should also look at how tall or thick the seat cushion is. Usually, an ergonomic chair should come with a cushion that’s at least 2.5 inches thick.
But you may require more than that, especially if you work for longer (i.e. 8+ hour) days. So, many large occupant chairs, like the Clatina and Starspace, give you around 5″ of seat thickness.
The seat thickness is important. But even more crucial for your overall health and comfort is the design of the seat. The first thing we look for is the front edge of the seat. Specifically, we find that the best big and tall office chairs have a passive front edge (aka waterfall seat design) that slopes downward.
This reduces the pressure on the back of your thighs when sitting. It also helps with circulation in your legs and opens up the sitting angle to reduce pressure or pain in your hip joint.
If the chair doesn’t have a passive front edge, look for a seat pan tilt adjustment, or a flexible seat design (like the Leap Plus), so you can angle the seat downward and get similar relief.
We always list a bunch of ergonomic and adjustability features to look out for in our office chair buying guides. We don’t need to list them all here – you already know that comfort and ergonomics are important.
So, here are just a few of the features that are especially important when it comes to large capacity office chairs:
Tilt Tension Control
Use this to help control the resistance of the backrest in response to your weight as you lean back in rocking mode. It’s usually a knob located under the seat. Most ergonomic chairs include this feature.
Seat Height Adjustment
We already mentioned the importance of a safe and reliable pneumatic lift adjuster with big and tall chairs. Check the dimensions to see if the chair height (from the ground to the seat) and adjustment range will work for you. Many chairs have 3-4″ adjustment range to allow you to find the right height for correct posture at your desk.
We always think you should look for chairs with height adjustable armrests so you can have proper arm and wrist alignment when typing. However, you’ll find that chairs in the big/tall category, especially the leather executive style models, often only include fixed armrests.
In this case, do some measurements and check the armrest height dimensions to make sure they will work for you. It also helps if the armrest is padded and curved (sloped downward) for extra comfort.
Headrest and Upper Back Support
If you need extra head or neck support, look for chairs with a headrest attachment. Not all chairs in this category include a removable or adjustable headrest piece, though. That’s usually ok, as long as the backrest comes with extra padding at the top of the chair and sufficient backrest height.
Most big/tall office chairs have some form of lumbar support either designed into the frame or included as a separate adjustable component. Basically, you want to see an S-shaped and contoured frame design with firm mesh support or, in the case of a leather or fabric chair, extra thick lumbar cushioning.
If you need more than that, be sure to shop for chairs with a height adjustable lumbar support piece (see the Air Grid above).
With minimum weight capacities of 400 lbs, extra wide and tall dimensions, and the right mix of comfort and adjustability features, we are confident that the chairs on this list represent some of the best choices for big and tall customers.
For fans of leather upholstery, we recommend both the Starspace and the Hercules. And if you have a bigger budget and/or need the full suite of ergonomic options and a top class office chair, we definitely recommend the Leap Plus model.
Are we missing a chair? Contact us to let us know. We are always researching new models and updating our lists to present you with the best options available.