How We Tested
We recommend these products based on an intensive research process that's designed to cut through the noise and find the top products in this space. Guided by experts, we spend hours looking into the factors that matter, to bring you these selections.Click here for testing insights >
While you might think that standing desks are directed at tall people, you’d be surprised to find that there are a whole variety of standing desk options for people of shorter stature.
But with so many standing desks on the market today, where do you even start with trying to find the best standing desk for short people?
Easy & Affordable Standing Desk
The TechOrbits Standing Desk allows you to easily switch between sitting and standing. The benefits of this high-quality desk are amazing. A standing desk reduces back pain, improves circulation, and can even lower your blood pressure.
|Make & Model||Desktop Size||Min/Max Height||Electric/Pneumatic||Price|
|HAIAOJIA Electric Stand up Desk Frame||44” x 90”||25.2” x 51.5”||Electric||$$$|
|Win Up Time Adjustable Computer Desk||24” x 47”||28” x 44.5”||Pneumatic||$$|
|Vari Electric Standing Desk||30” x 60”||25.5” x 50.5”||Electric||$$$$|
|Hadulcet Adjustable Standing Desk||23.6” x 23.6”||27.5” x 45.3”||Pneumatic||$$|
|SHW Height Adjustable Mobile Standing Desk||15.3” x 25.7”||28” x 33”||Pneumatic||$|
|ErgoMax Height Adjustable Ergonomic Standing Workstation||23.5” x 56.3” |
|24.8” x 50”||Electric||$$$|
These choices have been made on the basis of an understanding of what short people need in a standing desk – namely, a desk that can go shorter than other, normal standing desks.
We’ve used our team of experts to narrow this list down to give you a range of prices and both motorized and manual options for the best standing desk for short people.
So without further ado, let’s jump straight into the rundown of our findings.
6 Best Standing Desks for Short People in 2022
1. HAIAOJIA Electric Stand up Desk Frame
Now while this desk is effectively just the motorized frame, there isn’t a lot out there on the market at the moment that can beat the HAIAOJIA Electric Stand up Desk Frame in terms of how narrow or wide it can go and how small or tall it can go.
Plus, with its dual motors, you’ll find it can raise and lower in seconds.
This electric standing desk frame is also one of the most durable standing desks that you can get – it’s made of solid steel and features heavy-duty laminate along with other commercial-grade materials in the build.
With a minimum height of 25.2” and a maximum height of 51.5”, it is one of the best standing desks for short people on the market today.
It can also fit an extremely large desktop, so if you’re looking for plenty of space to work on, this is the standing desk for you. For other large worktops that come with your standing desk, take a look at our best triple monitor standing desks too.
- Great minimum height capability
- Very sturdy and well-made
- Smooth electric motors
- Frame only – desktop has to be sourced separately
- Motors have been reported to become faulty after some time
- 【DURABLE DESK FRAME】 solid steel sleek and sturdy construction, used commercial-grade materials like heavy-duty laminate and steel, with a load capacity of 270lbs, Easy assembly (all tools included), the perfect choice for a gaming desk or office desk.
- 【WIDELY AVAILABLE】The standing desk frame adjustable height range is 25.2" - 51.5", width range is 40.3" - 70.9". The suitable table top length range is 39.7"-90", width range is 23.6" - 44", thicker than 0.75". The input voltage is 110V - 240V.
2. Win Up Time Adjustable Computer Desk
Our next choice of standing desk for short people is the really slickly designed Win Up Time Adjustable Computer Desk.
It may not go quite as low as the HAIAOJIA, but with a minimum height of 28”, it can still work for most short people. This is a true statement piece that would look great in any modern home, and with two wheels, it’s also maneuverable too.
With an industrial-grade steel frame and a solid MDF tabletop, you can be sure that it’ll take a few bumps and scratches. It’s fully pneumatic as well, with a well-designed foldable crank system on either side of the desk. And even though it requires some assembly, you’ll find that it’s really quick and easy to get it up.
- Sleek design
- Wheels mean you can move it wherever you want
- Pneumatic design can become faulty quite quickly
- No warranty protecting you against damage
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】 The ergonomic height adjustable design will help transform your unique workspace. Switch from sitting to standing, free lifting, reduces strain on back, neck, and eyes. Seamlessly transitions to your perfect ergonomic height. Height adjusts from 70cm -11.30cm ( 29" to 45"）No need to place the standing desk next to electric power. Easy to slide with 2 wheels to anywhere you want.
- 【SPACIOUS WORK AREA】 This Adjustable height table provides a large surface: 120cm x 60cm ( 48inch x 24inch）. Enough for a variety of a few monitors, laptop, mouse, keyboard, important work materials and supplies.
3. Vari Electric Standing Desk
Quality comes at a price, and nowhere is this more evident than with the Vari Electric Standing Desk.
Featuring whisper-quiet dual motors that will either lower your desk to a handy height of 25.5” or to the towering heights of 50.5”, the Vari Electric Standing Desk also has one of the biggest and best worktops, making it the perfect choice for two monitors.
They also offer one of the best warranty’s around, with an industry-topping 5-year limited warranty – something that can be incredibly useful with an electric standing desk in particular.
The desktop itself comes in one large piece and has various wood designs and colorways, making sure that it can fit into any home.
In addition to the desk, Vari also manufactures various other ergonomic office supplies, like an active seat and an active mat. These can be great for making sure you’re moving around during the day. If you want to explore different options, we have a great rundown of the best balance boards for your standing desk.
- Has a great minimum and maximum height
- Extremely quiet dual motors
- Choice of desktop colour
- Extremely high price point.
- Some complaints about shipping have been monitored.
- Commercial-Grade Quality: Voted the Best Overall Standing Desk by CNET 2021, our standing desks are built to last with steel T-Style legs and a durable laminate finish
- Powerful and Quiet: The whisper-quiet dual motors and 3-stage legs provide a large range in height adjustability (25" - 50.5" high) and ensure a smooth, fluid lift
4. Hadulcet Adjustable Standing Desk
Now we know that the Hadulcet Adjustable Standing Desk doesn’t quite go as low as the others on our list, but in our books, it’s a surefire winner due to the double desk format. Having that extra desktop surface, we’ve found to be really useful, as it means you can spread out all your bits and pieces and not have anything get in the way.
The best thing about this standing desk for short people is the really smooth-rolling wheels, meaning you can change your working position to just about anywhere you want.
Plus, it comes in two different colorways, black and white oak, so it will fit in any modern home and not stick out like a sore thumb!
Having wheels on your standing desk can be a real game-changer. Check out our article looking at the best standing desk on wheels if you want some more inspiration or are looking for something a little bit different.
- Easy to move around
- Easy to assemble
- Two tiers with plenty of space for all your things
- Not as sturdy as other desks
- It doesn’t go down as low as other desks
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE & GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH - Height adjusted from 27.5" to 45" as you wish. Changing between sitting and standing helps you to relieve fatigue, avoid health problems of sitting and improve your working efficiency
- FLEXIBLE MOVING & MULTIFUNCTIONAL DESK - You can install on this rolling standing desk four great-quality rubber wheels which features smooth moving on any material of floor. Can be computer desk with wheels, adjustable mobile laptop desk in office, mobile laptop stand desk, standing laptop cart at home and study table, rolling cart in school.
5. SHW Height Adjustable Mobile Standing Desk
The SHW Height Adjustable Mobile Standing Desk is absolutely perfect for people who don’t want to fork out too much money for their standing desk, but also don’t want to miss out on some really great features.
With a good size worktop, and four really smooth wheels, the SHW Height Adjustable Mobile Standing Desk is a winner in our books.
It’s incredibly easy to put together once it arrives, and though there have been comments made about its sturdiness, we’ve found that it is easy to fix yourself if you do end up with any issues.
Because of its small size, it can be easily tucked away when you’re not using it, and with its minimum and maximum heights, you’ll find it can fit all shapes and sizes.
- Very inexpensive
- Easy to move around
- Great pneumatic action
- Not the sturdiest build we’ve seen
- Desktop is smaller than other options
- Mobility: rolling cart with four wheels, includes two locking wheels
- Adjustable Height: from 28'' to 33'' with locking knob
6. ErgoMax Height Adjustable Ergonomic Standing Workstation
With a minimum height of 24.8”, the ErgoMax Height Adjustable Ergonomic Standing Workstation may be just another desk frame, but it is another great option for short people.
It raises to 55” using dual motors, which are really quiet, and if you are in a rush, you can create a height preset for this too.
All you need to make the most of this really durable, steel-built desk frame is a great top for the desk, and you’ll be ready to go. Plus, with three different colorways to choose from, you can be sure of the desk fitting in perfectly into your home environment.
There’s not a lot this desk can’t lift up too, as it comes complete with a 250lb weight maximum.
What’s not to love?!
- Excellent minimum height function
- Programmable height presets
- Very durable and sturdy
- Desk top is required
- Motor can malfunction
- THE ULTIMATE ELECTRIC HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE SIT-STAND DESK DUAL MOTOR BASE Maximum height of 50″ and minimum height of 24 8″ Width extension of 39 4” to 55” lift noise at under 49 decibels and a lifting capacity of 225 LBS at 1 5 inches per second
- THREE PROGRAMMABLE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT MEMORY Touchscreen 3 programmable height adjustable controller you can raise or lower your desk with a click of a button Acceleration and deceleration dampening ensures all the content on your desk stay in place
Best Standing Desks for Short People – What To Look Out For
While it might seem like there are many standing desks that are specifically designed for taller people, it’s reassuring for us shorties to know that we, too, can benefit from all the great ergonomic features of a standing desk without the hassle of having to stretch up.
Having a desk that can get low enough is such an important feature and makes our lives easier!
It’s never too late to make the transition to a standing desk, whether you’re head’s in the sky or you’re on the short side. With so much of our lives spent at a desk, our bodies can feel the brunt, and it can become painful after too much time spent sat down typing away. No one wants to suffer from carpal tunnel while working, and a standing desk can help avoid this.
When looking at standing desks, though, it can be a bit overwhelming, as nowadays, there’s an almost limitless choice on the market.
If the choices we have on this list don’t quite fit the bill for you, and you want to try and explore other options, then it’s worth bearing in mind the following things to look out for.
This is the most obvious thing to be on the lookout for – or so you think. There are so many office furniture manufacturers out there today who don’t seem to even consider that smaller people might want to use a standing desk too and have minimum heights that are just too high. Luckily, there are some options out there that do go low enough.
Take some measurements with a tape measure at home, and when you’re browsing standing desks, make sure that you find one that goes low enough for you but not too low so that it will counteract the ergonomic benefits of the standing desk. It goes without saying too that you should try and squeeze some standing desk exercises into your day to give you more energy.
Having the option to change your working position is really useful, so choosing a standing desk with wheels can be a great idea if you want to keep your working position fresh and interesting. Plus, if you are in the office and you’re in a role where you do lots of presentations, having the option to simply wheel your desk into the presetnation room is really key.
While some people complain that standing desks with wheels aren’t as stable as other non-wheeled standing desks, you’d be surprised at how much things have changed in the world of standing desks, and the modern wheel that you’ll end up finding on your standing desk can actually keep your standing desk pretty stable and secure.
So if you were worrying about the stability of the Win Up Time Adjustable Computer Desk because of the addition of wheels, then worry no more! You’ll find it rock solid and really sturdy, ready for anything you might throw at it.
Quite often, you’ll find that the best standing desks for short people are rather bespoke and will require you to fork out a fair bit for them. If you’re going to be spending a fair amount of money on these desks then you won’t want to be replacing it in a year or so.
So having a durable, hardy standing desk that can take the bumps and scrapes that are part and parcel of daily life is something that you want to consider. After all, you don’t want to fork out for the Vari Electric Standing Desk only to have it break down on you as soon as you get round to using it.
It’s worth noting here that electric standing desks often have more problems with breaking down than pneumatic. It can also be slightly easier to fix a pneumatic desk yourself, whereas an electric standing desk requires some additional skills that you may not have. That being said, we’ve had pneumatic standing desks fail on us too!
Also, look for quality materials of construction, including metal and wood, as well as high weight capacities (i.e. over 200 lbs) that indicate a sturdy build with enough stability to handle your monitors and accessories.
Just because it’s adaptable for smaller users doesn’t mean it shouldn’t still have the safe and reliable build quality you need for a modem work setup.
Best Standing Desks for Short People – Final Thoughts
Hopefully, if you’re a fellow shorty, our article will give you a much better idea of what’s out there when it comes to standing desks.
It can be frustrating when it only seems like there are standing desks for tall people, but this rundown of the best standing desks for short people will give you a much clearer idea of what is out there and where you can find it.
And while all of these desks are the best in our opinion, if we had to make just one choice, we’d have to go for the Win Up Time Adjustable Computer Desk.
It’s reasonably priced, and it will get down to a low enough level for nearly anyone to use. Plus, with its handy wheels, you can move it to wherever you need it.
Other Products We Considered
The Office Chair Picks editorial team researches hundreds of products based on consumer reviews, brand quality, and value. We then choose a shorter list for in-depth research and testing before finalizing our top picks. These are the products we considered that ultimately didn't make our top 5.