If you need a chair for your business or home office, one premium choice you should consider is the Zody Office Chair by Haworth.
More than just another boring, run-of-the-mill, mass-produced piece of furniture, this work chair is a statement that seamlessly blends innovation, aesthetics, function, and sustainability.
Here we will take a closer look at Zody, the company that makes them, and why this chair should be the next inspiring addition to your workspace.
Haworth Zody Review: The Basics
The Zody is the centerpiece of Haworth’’s ergonomic office furniture line-up.
Coming fully-assembled right out of the box, the Zody chair promises quality, comfort, and performance.
And the superior construction, attention to detail, and many standard features work together to deliver on that promise.
Key features include:
- Breathable and supportive mesh backrest
- Upholstered foam seating area
- Protective Alta stain repellant that provides outstanding cleanability
- “Waterfall” seat edge that reduces pressure on the backs of your legs
- Seat depth adjusts 3 inches.
- Seat height adjusts five inches, from 16” to 21.”
- Arms are height-adjustable and provide support to your shoulders and neck.
- Recline position is supported by the tilt tension control.
- Six different recline positions
- Hard caster wheels provide purchase on all flooring surfaces.
Zody Office Chairs Fabric Options
One of the most aesthetically pleasing features of a Zody office chair is the option to customize your chair by choosing one of 11 colors for the seating upholstery and one of 3 colors for the mesh back.
Seat Upholstery Options
- Tellure Black
- Tellure Chocolate
- Tellure Dove
- Tellure Goose
- Tellure Navy
- Tellure Nickel
- Tellure Tomato
- Ramie Gunnie
- Ramie Millet
- Ramie Thatch
- Ramie Water
Back Mesh Options
- Dark Grey
- Light Grey
If you choose to upgrade to the ultra-premium Zody leather office chair, both the foam seat and the supportive mesh back are covered in high-style Bittersweet-colored leather.
Comfort and Support
A tremendous amount of research has gone into making Zody office chairs as comfortable as possible. That purpose-driven design innovation is evident in the standard features, and even more so in the upgrades and options:
- The patented Pelvic and Asymmetrical Lumbar back system (PAL) supports your pelvis to maintain the natural curvature of the spine.
- The lumbar pad provides four inches of height adjustment and separate controls that allow you to fine-tune the amount of support on each side of your lower back.
- The forward tilt upgrade lets the chair’s seat pan adjust downward five degrees from its initial position. This gives you the chance to change your sitting position throughout the workday.
- Mesh flexes passively up to two inches, giving you more sideways reach.
- From the upright position, the chair reclines up to 24 degrees, allowing you to find just the right working and resting positions.
- Exclusive “4D” arms adjust side to side, up and down, and back to front, providing extra support to your shoulders and neck.
- It is the First and ONLY chair to be officially endorsed by the American Physical Therapy Association.
- Meets the rigorous standards of healthy sitting set forth by the Business + Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association.
Haworth is a global leader in sustainability, so it is no surprise that Zody chairs are constructed from 42 percent recycled materials, and the finished product is itself 92 percent recyclable.
Other accomplishments and accolades include:
- Certified BIFMA Level 3, the highest level of industrial environmental certification
- GREENGUARD-Certified for meeting indoor air quality standards
- First work chair to be Certified as a Cradle-to-Cradle Gold Product, signifying its status as a sustainable product.
Zody Office Chair Dimensions
- Chair Weight: 59.9 pounds
- Chair Height: Adjustable from 38 inches to 43 inches
- Chair Width: 29 inches
- Chair Depth: 29 inches
- Arm Height: Adjustable from 6.8 inches to 10.8 inches
- Seat Height: Adjustable from 16 inches to 21 inches
- Seat Width: 19.3 inches
- Seat Depth: Adjustable from 16 inches to 19 inches
Summing it Up: Pros and Cons
- Globally-recognized manufacturer
- Supremely-comfortable ergonomic design
- Accommodating to almost every body type
- Personally-adjustable to the individual
- Third-party endorsements and certifications
- Wide variety of colors
- Sustainable production
- Largely recycled and recyclable
- Arrives pre-assembled
- Outstanding 12-year, 24/7 warranty
- A minimalist approach to aesthetics. This is a working chair.
- No color choices with leather upgrade
- People who work from home may experience sticker shock at the price.
- Some customer reviews say the chair is difficult to adjust.
On further reflection, we realized that these “cons” needed further explanation because the reality is some of these may not actually be negatives.
First, let address why the Haworth Zody chair takes a minimalist approach to its appearance.
Keep in mind that this is an ergonomically-designed chair made for people who spend long hours at their desks or workstations.
So, the main goal is to maximize productivity by minimizing discomfort. In that, the Zody office chair succeeds.
Second, since Haworth is renowned for being an ecologically-friendly furniture manufacturer, it only makes sense that they would focus on using recycled/recyclable materials rather than less-sustainable leather.
Also, fabric and mesh are much more breathable than leather, which means less retained body heat and moisture.
Third, the sticker shock is understandable because the Zody by Haworth is not in any way a budget office chair.
But when you consider how much time you spend in it and how much more productive you are when you are comfortable, you quickly realize that it is an affordable office chair.
Finally, because it has more points of comfort-focused adjustability than other office chairs, the Zody model does take some getting used to.
Haworth realized this and created some helpful video tutorials.
The Bottom Line about the Zody Office Chair
There are a lot of office chairs out there, but it is hard to top the ergonomic performance of the Zody by Haworth.
The Zody model eases discomfort and promotes productivity to a level that simply cannot be matched by budget office chairs that you might pick up at your local supply superstore. That’s why we’ve included it in our updated list of the best ergonomic office chairs.
Suppose you think of a Zody chair as an investment in your workplace production.
In that case, you will soon reap the benefits of that decision, joining over three million satisfied customers around the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions after reading this Haworth Zody Chair review? We have answers.
Is Haworth an American company?
Yes. The corporate headquarters are in Holland, Michigan.
What is the length of the warranty?
The warranty period on all Haworth seating products is 12 years!
What is the maximum weight capacity?
The chair can handle 325 pounds.
How do I care for my Zody office chair?
The fabric is stain-repellant and can be wiped clean with a mild solution of cleaner and water.
How much is shipping?
Shipping and returns are free.
About Haworth: Working to Make the World Better
Founded in 1948 by former high school industrial arts teacher G.W. Haworth, the company that now bears his name grew from a small garage hobby to a global leader in designing and manufacturing adaptable workspaces and sustainable office furniture.
Despite being a multi-billion dollar company serving markets in over 120 nations, Haworth is still a family-owned business committed to core values such as Design, Innovation, Integrity, and Working to Make the World Better.
Haworth is absolutely committed to energy efficiency and sustainability. In 2009, they became the first contract furniture company to produce ZERO waste-to-landfill in all of its U.S. manufacturing facilities.
As far as their products go, Haworth’s website states that they are a “company with a focus on Organic Workspace that helps people perform their best.”
About Zody Office Chairs by Haworth
Haworth refers to its chairs as a fusion of contemporary design with the “science of sitting,” and Zody is the child of that union. Made for people of every size and shape, Zody is ergonomically-designed to boost productivity and enhance your workplace.
While the base model Zody chair is already a superior blend of form and function, it is also extremely customizable.
You have multiple options that help you create the Zody office chair that is perfect for you.