More of us are working from home than ever before, and we need proper support and comfort to help carry us through our workdays. And if you’re in need of a quality ergonomic chair (at a very reasonable price point), we think you should check out the SmugDesk brand.
What’s so different about SmugDesk compared to a run-of-the-mill office chair? A lot.
In this SmugDesk review, we’ll go over three of their best ergonomic office chair models, talk about their pros, cons, and everything that makes SmugDesk chairs a cut above the rest.
Pull up a chair and let’s learn more!
SmugDesk is all about providing comfort and support at the same time, and there’s no chair that does that better than the ergonomics mesh computer chair.
Featuring excellent lower lumbar support and soft seat cushioning, you position yourself perfectly from the moment you sit down. Not only does this help prevent lower back pain, but it can make you more productive.
The back is adjustable because nobody has the exact same spine curvature. SmugDesk makes it easy to customize how you sit in their chairs while still reaping the benefits.
Assembly is admittedly a bit of a pain. There aren’t many pieces per se, but the casters need a heavy hand to properly attach to the bottom of the wheel frame.
While SmugDesk does have cheaper options available, this is one of the few that come with a waist pillow. Angle it any way you want to help support your lower back. You might find that this chair doesn’t hit the nail on the head at first, but once you manipulate the adjustable settings, you’ll find a sweet spot.
The 3D armrests offer a great way to keep your arms elevated the way they’re supposed to be when you’re typing, and while they’re not very cushioned, these armrests keep you locked into a work-friendly posture all day long.
- 29.53 x 13.39 x 20.87 inches
- Lumbar Support
- Tilt 90 to 115 degrees
- Adjustable headrest and armrests for maximum comfort
- Comfortable bottom cushion helps with long sitting periods
- Casters glide across the floor with ease
- Angled lower lumbar support
- Pricier than other SmugDesk chairs
- Casters are challenging to apply during assembly
What Others Say:
While many users love the easy assembly and solid construction, others are unhappy with the lack of support and say the mesh sags.
- [Adjustable Headrest] Ergonomically designed, provides support and comfort while reducing pressure on the neck and shoulder with the contoured-shaped/adjustable headrest, and promotes healthy posture. SMUGDESK office chair believe so strongly that our often imitated but never duplicated headrest is the premiere neck/head pillow.
- [Lumbar Support] The lumbar support of our ergonomic mesh chair introduces a sneaky simple way to promote good posture while simultaneously relieving back pain while sitting. While keeping your spine in alignment our revolutionary lumbar support gently immerses your back into a SMUGDESK quality experience unlike any other.... Our lumbar support system is designed to help relieve pain while sitting however it may not work for all conditions or completely eliminate all pain symptoms.
At the perfect price point for SmugDesk chairs, we have the swivel task chair. This is extremely easy to assemble right out of the box, from the armrests down to the casters.
That makes the experience a bit better, but on top of that, you also have an excellent aerated back panel made entirely out of mesh. This helps keep airflow to your back, so you don’t build up a sweat while working (or if you do, it helps cool you down rapidly).
The angled lower lumbar support operates in a small adjustable range, but it’s more than enough to let you customize how you use your swivel task chair and optimize your comfort. The biggest struggle with any chair is maintaining your perfect posture while you’re sitting in it, which is what the SmugDesk brand is all about: helping you correct these problems.
Another benefit is the angled armrests, which help keep your arms where they need to be while typing or performing deskwork. The swivel task chair supports up to 250 lbs and glides smoothly on carpet, mats, or hardwood flooring.
I mentioned those armrests, and while they’re good, they aren’t cushioned. You might notice a bit of elbow fatigue throughout the day; it’s just a learning curve of the new ergonomics you’re working with.
The only other grievance here is the backing. It’s technically a mid-level back, so you will feel the top of it press on the center of your shoulders a bit if you’re relying on it too much or leaning on it for support. This chair doesn’t correct your posture for you; it aids you.
As a great middle-of-the-road option with an affordable price point, with all the assembly tools included, this SmugDesk chair will help with comfort and posture control.
- 22.05 x 21.65 x 35.83 inches
- Swivel 360 degrees
- 250 weight capacity
- Angled lower lumbar support helps alleviate back pain
- Air-hole mesh backing prevents excessive back sweat from long sitting periods
- Extremely easy to assemble
- Very low-cost (comparable to low-budget office chairs)
- Mid-rise chair backing is less supportive
- No cushion on the armrests
What Others Say:
Shorter users think the chair fits perfectly, but other users say it feels too small. Assembly is easy, but padding is thin.
- 【Ergonomic Design】 The curved design of this mesh chair will reduce back tension and make you feel extremely comfortable. The chair comes with ergonomic backrest providing reliable lumbar support which helps you keep in the right position for a long time working.
- 【Adjustable & Rocking Function】 With the adjustment lever, it’s easier to adjust the height lower or higher. Pull out the lever to start the rocking mode, and pull the lever in to stop, which allows you to have a break during a long time working. This chair can support up to 250 lbs.
Last but not least, we hit a price point between the previous two SmugDesk chairs with this ultra-cushioned office chair.
To kick things off, this is far more durable than it looks. With a weight cap of 270 lbs and a tightly-crafted mesh backing, this chair is ready to take on years of wear and tear.
From the top-down, we have that mesh back that helps aerate while you use it. No more back sweat or discomfort in the back of your shirt sounds pretty lovely, doesn’t it? The armrests are designed to help with your arm posture and placement, although the lack of cushioning is an issue at first until you get used to it.
Then we get to the seat. This might be one of the most comfortable seats that SmugDesk has made, and it’s not because it has a ridiculous layer of padding. There’s just enough to help to relax and feel comfortable, but enough stability to keep you task-oriented.
SmugDesk chairs are all about posture control, which is why you’ll be happy to know that this features a slightly scaled-down version of their waist pillow. While it is very adjustable for your posture, the seat only has a narrow 3.7” height adjustment margin, which can limit how you use this chair.
Assembly is a breeze. The casts pop on extremely easily, and the armrests screw into the chair base quickly. SmugDesk only offers a one-year warranty on this chair, and while it would be nice to have more time, twelve months should be enough to test this out and decide if it’s the right chair for you.
- 26 x 21 x 9 inches
- Breathable padding and mesh
- 270 weight capacity
- Large mesh holes provide excellent aeration for your back
- One of the easiest chairs you’ll ever adjust
- Includes an integrated waist pillow to help prevent lower lumbar issues
- Maximum weight cap of 270 lbs
- Only comes with a one-year warranty
- Adjusts to a max of 3.7” in height and no more
What Others Say:
Many users like the adequate padding and support, but some felt that it was wobbly or not solid after assembly.
- Reliable Lumbar Support - It comes with ergonomic office chair backrest with a reliable lumbar support will help you keep in a right position during long time working.
- Breathable Padding Seat - the padded mesh Seat is thick and resilient. Made of high Quality thick sponge and breathable mesh clothes, prevent body heat and keep your hip and legs sweat-free.
SmugDesk Chair Buyer’s Guide
Once you’ve decided that you want a SmugDesk chair, how do you know which specific one is best for your needs? Here’s a closer look at these chairs and how to pick the best:
Features to Consider
SmugDesk offers a lot of different benefits, but not all of their chairs are created equal. These are a few of the main features to look for in SmugDesk chairs.
- Back Length: This is the height of the chair’s back. While most SmugDesk chairs have high backs, not all of them do. Higher backs are better for support.
- Comfort: Admittedly, some SmugDesk chairs have minimal cushioning and are designed for a specific weight class of users. Inspect multiple SmugDesk chairs to find the right level of comfort for you.
- Aeration: Nobody wants a sweaty back. Check out the backing material and look for aeration slots and mesh to keep yourself cool while working.
SmugDesk Chair Benefits
SmugDesk chairs are among the best office chairs that you can get. Yes, there are other equally durable and comfortable brands out there, but most of them hit at a higher price point.
With SmugDesk, you have a wide budget range of excellent chairs (as we’ve showcased in the three different chairs above), which can all offer you varying benefits and enhanced levels of support throughout your day.
In the long haul, SmugDesk chairs last for years without degrading and offer consistent lumbar support when you need it most.
What Are the Best Chairs for Sitting All Day?
SmugDesk is often hailed as the best chairs for long, arduous days of work, whether you’re in the office or at home. Freelancers, independent contractors, and at-home employees are all on the rise, which means these people need to supply their own office equipment.
It’s easy to buy whatever is cheapest, but you’ll feel the negative effects almost immediately. SmugDesk chairs are designed to provide better support for every level of use, whether it’s an all-day eight-hour work fest or leaning back and watching some Netflix.
Are High Back Chairs Better?
Some of it comes down to personal preference, but yes, high back chairs are usually better than mid-rise chairs. When you lean back in a mid-rise chair, the top half of your back presses against it, leaving this discomfort where the top line of the chair meets.
Your lower back is supported, but there’s still weight and pressure on your shoulders and upper back. SmugDesk chairs generally have high-rise backs to give you full support and take the task out of sitting properly. The contoured back helps correct your posture (which is true of most high back chairs) while you work.
Our top SmugDesk pick comes with the best lower lumbar support and complete seating customization of nearly any office chair on the market. We chose the SmugDesk Ergonomics Mesh Chair because it’s comfortable, adjustable, and includes a pillow for lower back support.
Even though the chair is arguably the most difficult to assemble of the bunch, it’s worth the extra effort. Once assembled, it’s a sturdy chair that you can easily adjust to fit the curve of your back.
They say you get what you pay for, and in this case, all of the chairs on our list are excellent hybrids of comfort, value, and support. SmugDesk chairs offer powerful benefits from lower lumbar support to posture correction and more, and regardless of which one you choose, you’ll have access to all of those benefits.