Unique in appearance, unmatched in comfort, and designed for the real world, the Nouhaus Ergo 3D might be the only chair you need at work or in your home office.
In this review, we’ll walk you through the details about the chair, with insights into the pros and cons so you can decide if it’s worth checking out for your workspace.
First Things First — What You Need to Know about Nouhaus
With a name like “Nouhaus,” you probably expect a European company, perhaps in Germany.
But Nouhaus is actually based here in the United States, in Monterey Park, California. Their products are American-made, and while they are not hand-made, a great deal of care and purpose is clearly evident.
According to the Nouhaus, each chair team is comprised of a:
- Full-time creative designer
Nouhaus takes sitting seriously. In fact, they refer to themselves as the “architects of purposeful seating” who “infuse each chair with Beauty, Function, and Affordability.”
Let’s take a closer look at how they successfully and consistently accomplish this to the satisfaction of so many customers.
About the Ergo 3D Chair from Nouhaus
Nouhaus says the Ergo 3D Office Chair “goes beyond ergonomic” to fit not just your body, but also your life. And while that may sound like just another load of sales pitch hyperbole, there’s no denying that the Ergo 3D is one REALLY comfortable chair.
The thoughtful design leads to the inclusion of several noteworthy features:
- Adjustable headrest
- Breathable mesh
- Super-Lounge recline
- 4D adjustable armrests
- Dynamic lumbar support
- ADC #12 5-point aluminum wheelbase
- Blade wheels
- Hydraulic gas lift
- “Waterfall” seat edge lessens the pressure on your thighs.
- Comes in one of four fashion colors — Dark Burgundy, Brilliant Blue, Silver Gray, and Black Coffee
Ergo 3D Chairs: “So Comfy, You’ll Forget You’re Even Working.”
The Nouhaus website profoundly says, “design without function makes no sense,” and that philosophy is the driving force behind the inclusion of every feature on the Ergo 3D.
Here is how each comfort-focused feature benefits you:
- 2D Adjustable Headrest: Adjusts up and down and angles with ErgoTilt, thereby supporting your neck in every sitting position.
- Breathable ElastoMesh: Prevents stickiness and sweatiness by allowing optimal airflow.
- Open-Cell Foam Cushions — Provides adaptive padding.
- Super-Lounge Recline: Allows up to 135 degrees of tilt, with recline lock, keeping you supported and comfortable during a wide variety of tasks.
- Dynamic “Just-for-Me” Lumbar Support: Intuitively adjusts when you change positions, responding to the pressure you put on it, moving when you move, and providing you with lower back support when and where you need it.
- 4D Adjustable Armrests — These glide up and down, back and forth, and even sideways. They also pivot right and left, allowing you to place them in the perfect height and positional settings to best support your arms, shoulders, neck, and upper back while you work.
- Class 4 Hydraulic Gas Lift — Smooth height adjustment
Nouhaus Ergo 3D Office Chair Construction Details
- Chair Materials: HD ElastoMesh Seat and Back, PU coated armrests
- Chair Weight: 46.29 pounds
- Chair Height: Adjustable from 44.09 inches to 49.01 inches
- Chair Width: 27.95 inches
- Chair Depth: 27.16 inches
- Arm Height: Adjustable from 25.5 inches to 29.4 inches
- Seat Height: Adjustable from 18.5 inches to 22.44 inches
- Seat Width: 19.7 inches
- Seat Depth: 16.3 inches
- Wheelbase: 5-point industrial-grade aluminum
- Blade wheels
- Maximum Weight Load: 275 pounds
- Meets the strict standards of the Business + Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association.
- Warranty: 3 years, extendable to 5 years
Nouhaus Ergo 3D Office Chair Pros and Cons
While there is a long list of positive things to like about the Nouhaus Ergo 3D, there are also a few things that they could have done better:
- Established American company
- Manufactured in the United States
- Zero outsourcing
- Proprietary mesh construction has great breathability.
- Unlike what is found on other mesh chairs, ElastoMesh is not “wiry.”
- Accommodates most body types
- EXCELLENT fit for individuals with smaller frames or body types
- Well-thought-out ergonomic design
- Extremely comfortable
- Reduces the fatigue usually felt after a long day of sitting at a desk
- Blade wheels are extremely quiet and respond better than casters.
- Comes with two sets of wheels — one for hard surfaces and one for carpets
- The industrial aluminum wheelbase is more durable than the plastic wheelbases found on competitors’ models.
- Passed a demanding BIFMA quality test
- 30-Day Risk-Free Purchase, satisfaction guaranteed
- Generous 5-Year Warranty
- Overwhelming positive customer reviews — 82% of purchasers gave this chair 5 or 4 stars.
- Overall excellent value for the price
- May not be the right chair for taller people, i.e., anyone over 6’1”.
- The 16-inch seat depth and the maximum seat height of 22 inches may be uncomfortable for people with long legs.
- Likewise, this may not be the right option for people who are heavy or who have larger frames due to the seat width of under 20 inches and the weight limit of 275 pounds.
- That 275 weight limit is considerably less than what is seen with most other office chairs.
- The armrests need more padding.
- Does not come pre-assembled.
- Some people prefer adjustable lumbar support.
- The seat depth is not adjustable.
- Limited choice of colors.
A few words about the appearance of the Ergo 3D. While not exactly a “con”, we must acknowledge that this Nouhaus model is unique-looking and probably not what you are used to seeing in a professional setting.
You will either love the look of this design or hate it.
But keep this in mind — when your neck, shoulders, back, hips, and legs feel better than they have in years, all thanks to the Ergo 3D, you will be glad that you made the right choice.
The Bottom Line about Nouhaus Ergo 3D Office Chairs
There are many mesh office chairs on the market, but it is hard to find one that matches the ergonomic performance of the Nouhaus Ergo 3D, especially at such a modest price. The Ergo 3D makes you more productive than ever by easing discomfort and reducing workplace fatigue.
Think of it this way — there are budget office chairs that offer the bare minimum: a place to sit. But as the workday drags on, unnecessary fatigue sets in, and nagging discomfort breaks your concentration. In other words, you get less done when you are tired and sore.
A top-quality ergonomically-designed office chair like the Ergo 3D is more than just another place to sit. Whether you are an employer, a manager, a regular employee, or the owner of your own business, the Ergo 3D by Nouhaus is an investment in the people and the production that make your business a success.
Keeping in mind the size concerns, we recommend the Nouhaus Ergo 3D Office Chair for anyone who is looking to upgrade their workplace seating options without breaking the bank.
And for the record, we also like one of the company slogans that drive the Nouhaus design process — “I sit, therefore I am.” Clearly, they take comfort and ergonomics seriously, which reflects in their product line.
Have more questions about Nouhaus chairs? We have answers.
Is Nouhaus an American company?
Yes. Their headquarters are in Monterey Park, California. Their products are 100% American-made, with zero outsourcing.
What is the length of the Warranty?
The basic warranty is for 3 years, and the Extended Warranty is for 5 years.
What is the maximum weight capacity?
Do I need to buy special tools to assemble my chair?
No. Everything you need for assembly, including tools and instructions, will be delivered with your chair.
How do I clean my chair?
You can keep your Nouhaus office chair clean with any household fabric or upholstery cleaner.
What if I am not satisfied with my chair?
Your chair comes with a 30-day “Risk-Free Purchase” return option.
How long should my chair last?
Because Nouhaus uses top-quality materials, adheres to the highest manufacturing standards, and submits their products for demanding tests, your chair is built to last for years. But as with everything else you own, exactly how long your chair actually lasts depends on how you use and maintain it.
Will this ergonomic chair cure my chronic pain?
While the right chair with the right adjustments WILL support healthier posture, it is recommended that you consult with a medical professional about any chronic pain issues that you may be experiencing.
How do you pronounce “Nouhaus”?
It is pronounced like “New House.”
Check out bestselling items from Nouhaus available on Amazon:
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Tamonin Hidekura (Author)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- INUISEITAROU (Author)