We’ll help you find the best saddle chair for your work environment, while giving you a complete buyer’s guide and answering some common questions at the end.
We sit a lot during a normal workday, so a comfortable chair is essential.
But if you want something that also encourages active sitting, so you can easily move between tasks and safely support your posture during the day, it might be time to consider a saddle chair.
A saddle chair is designed with a wider hip-to-knee angle than a typical chair. This curvature creates a more natural sitting posture and improves leg circulation.
Maintaining a natural upright posture on a saddle style stool or seat may even strengthen your core muscles while you work.
If you’re interested in this type of alternative office seating, but overwhelmed by all the choices out there, this post should help.
Let’s get started.
The Jobri Saddle Chair is ergonomically designed for improved posture. With a slight tilt and waterfall effect, you can maintain a comfortable seated position while your legs hang naturally. This reduces the pressure felt from direct contact between the seat and the back of your thighs.
Quality is crucial, particularly if this chair is likely to be subject to frequent use. With a tubular metal frame, this is a strong and durable saddle chair that has a weight capacity of 250 pounds. This seat is upholstered in a soft and durable faux leather that looks nice and can be cleaned easily.
Designed with a five-point base and twin casters, you can glide easily across your office or home. It is also much more stable and allows for even distribution of weight relieving any pressure felt by your back and legs.
Thanks to the lever, located just beneath the saddle seat, you can alter the height catering to different desk types and individual heights.
As this seat has a tilt feature, you can adjust the angle to the most comfortable position which is convenient, especially if you are likely to be sat down for prolonged periods.
- The waterfall effect relieves the pressure from the back of the legs allowing you to sit more comfortably.
- Courtesy of the gas lift lever you can conveniently adjust the seat height to suit the desk style or individual height.
- With a tilt feature, you can select the most comfortable position that relieves the pressure on your back.
- Durably designed with strong materials this seat is likely to last for a long time without deteriorating in quality.
- Sturdily designed, this seat is going to provide you with all of the support that is needed.
- After sitting down for a prolonged time, the seat is prone to becoming solid and there isn’t a backrest for additional support.
- SADDLE SEAT SHAPE. Saddle seat shape incorporates a “waterfall effect” allowing the legs to hang naturally from the stool while sitting, thus reducing pressure on the backs of the thighs, for greater comfort and improved circulation to the lower legs.
- HIGH QUALITY STEEL CONSTRUCTION. Long lasting tubular metal frame and components accommodate users weighing up to 250 lbs. Our products are trusted by back and neck specialists throughout the world!
Ergonomically designed, the FRNIAMC Adjustable Saddle Stool supports improved positioning helping you to sit with your back aligned in the correct posture. The saddle shaping of the seat aims to reduce the pressure felt by your back, neck, and legs after sitting for a long time.
Impressively, this seat can be lifted to a height of 29.5″ which is particularly tall when compared to rival products. With the ability to adjust the stool to a higher or lower height you can cater the height to suit the type of desk that you are working on along with your height too.
This seat has a maximum weight capacity of 450 lbs, effectively catering to a wide range of individuals of different sizes.
With five-point heavy-duty wheel casters, you can glide with ease allowing for smooth movement across carpet and hard floors. Designed with aluminum legs and a padded leather seat, you will not be disappointed in the quality or comfort that this chair offers.
The attached backrest is fully reclinable so you can relax easily and this releases you from the rigidity of being refrained to one particular position.
- With clear and detailed instructions, assembly is simple and stress-free.
- When you purchase this saddle chair you will also get access to one year of satisfied customer service with help available if you happen to experience any issues.
- The thick ergonomic saddle design allows you to sit in a healthy and comfortable position while relieving any pressure felt by your back and legs.
- Durably designed this chair is likely to see you through many uses without deteriorating.
- The smooth caster wheels allow for easy and noise-free movement.
- The back doesn’t lock into place and is prone to loosening if too much pressure is put onto it.
- Save Your Back From Painful- The ergonomic "saddle" shape seat design corrects your posture to be straight and upright thus reducing the stress of neck and back, provide extra comfort for long-hours sitting works
- Seat Height Adjustable-The stool chair height overall 20-29.5'', taller than most other saddle chairs
The Antlu Saddle Stool rolling chair is super versatile and suitable for several purposes, whether this is working from home in your kitchen or living room, or for use in the workspace such as an office or clinic, etc.
With an ergonomic design, the saddle seat enhances comfort and encourages the correct alignment of your spine resulting in improved posture. The inclusion of thicker padding allows you to sit with ease, particularly beneficial if you are likely to be sat down for the majority of the day.
Thanks to the rotatable caster wheels you can move freely from room to room. Impressively, the seat cushion itself rotates at a 360-degree angle which is super convenient.
This saves you from having to completely move the chair when needing to reach something behind you, simply rotate the seat and you can swivel around freely.
There is no denying that this chair has been designed with durability and sturdiness in mind. From the wheels to the base to the seat itself, the strong materials create a robust chair that is going to stand up exceptionally well to daily use.
- You can adjust the height of this stool approximately 4 inches more than regular stools.
- With a 360 degree rotatable seat you can move conveniently and freely when sitting in this chair.
- A budget-friendly option retailing at a very affordable price.
- Available in four different colors, your tastes are catered to very well and it is likely to complement any room decor.
- The thicker padding allows you to sit comfortably for longer.
- The seat doesn’t tilt very well which could result in possible back issues.
- Ergonomic:This saddle stool chair design for extra comfort on your back and spine,this design reduces painful pressure on your back.
- Comfortable : The seat cushion of this rolling saddle stool is a little thicker than the conventional one, which makes it more comfortable to sit on.
This Ergonomic Saddle Chair is designed with a backrest for long-lasting support and comfort. The saddle seat provides enhanced comfort helping to relieve any pressure felt by your back or spine.
With an adjustable backrest in place, you are encouraged to sit in the correct position to improve your posture.
Both the backrest and seat themselves are adjustable which allows you to alter the seat to suit your comfort preferences. If you don’t want to adjust both, then each can be altered independently.
With a sturdy 5 point caster rolling base you can glide efficiently whether this is along carpet or hand floor, saving you the hassle of having to leave your chair to reach anything located a short distance away.
Related: Check out some of these rolling shop stools for DIY pros
Made from PU leather, this is an excellently durable chair that is going to last very well while maintaining excellent standards of quality.
- The back of the chair provides sufficient support helping you to sit with the correct posture.
- Made with thicker padding, the saddle stool provides improved comfort to your back, neck, and legs.
- Both the backrest and seat are adjustable too, so you can work in the most comfortable position for you.
- The leather construction accounts for excellent durability.
- Designed with a wider seat you aren’t restricted with space and you can move freely.
- The controls are prone to struggling with elevating and lowering the seat height.
- Saddle seat design for extra comfort on your back and spine
- Sturdy 5 caster rolling base
Uniquely designed, the Master Massage Ergonomic split seat delivers exceptional comfort for its user.
With a split seat design, you are introduced to excellent comfort with each cushion aiming to enhance the comfort felt by your back and legs. The waterfall design allows you to sit back and relax without feeling any unwanted pressure on your thighs. Impressively, the foam cushioning is molded to the seat base itself accounting for excellent durability that is likely to last for years to come.
The back cushion is both adjustable and removable allowing you to cater the comfort to your preferences.
Courtesy of the control panels that can be found on the side, of the chair you can alter the positioning to suit your preferences and needs, particularly useful if you are likely to be sat down for prolonged periods.
- The upholstery used in the manufacturing of the seat padding is hypoallergenic so isn’t likely to cause any unwanted reactions when exposed to bare or sensitive skin.
- Thanks to the aluminum base you are provided with enhanced stability as you sit down.
- Available in multiple colors you can opt for the choice that compliments your decor and personal tastes.
- The unique design provides maximum comfort.
- The back padding is removable and adjustable so you can cater it to your specifications.
- Retailing at a higher price than our previous picks, this may not be an ideal choice for those on a budget.
- Size: 15.7’X 15’x21”-28”(l x W x H)
- Seat height adjustment from：21”-28”
The DR. LOMILOMI Hydraulic Saddle Stool is perfect for spas and medical clinics. It features medical-grade cushioning, which is thick, and the foam provides a memory foam effect. The upholstery is flame-retardant, and it can avoid abrasions and water damage.
This chair has a light-weight, durable aluminum base that’s easy to roll on, and the wheels work on all surfaces. It can help take the weight off your spine and back, and it has an ergonomic design. You can use the lever to change how high the seat is, and the hydraulic system is good quality.
The front tip of the chair is 20.5 to 26.5 inches tall, and the center is 1.5 to 24.5 inches tall. This seat is 13 inches wide and 14 inches deep, and the leg base is 21 inches wide. It has a recommended weight capacity of 400 pounds, and it comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
Almost anyone will find the seat comfortable thanks to its design. The foam can mold to fit you, and the materials are high-quality and will last a long time.
Men may feel like the chair is like a bicycle seat as it can cut off circulation in the groin. The seat also does not tilt forward and backward, so you’ll need to use it in its main position. It can help reduce pain for people who need to work on their feet a lot.
- Moldable foam
- Adjustable height
- Durable base and seat
- Helps with posture
- Rolls easily
- Can cut off circulation
- Doesn’t tilt
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: DR.LOMILOMI exclusive ergonomic saddle stool design in the U.S. brings the most comfortable daily sitting experience. An excellent saddle seat dose the job to relieve the stress and pain caused by long-term sitting from the back and spine.
- MEDICAL-GRADE CUSHIONING: Top qualified foam and upholstery meet Flame-retardant medical standards. Guaranteed thick cushioning with high-reliance molded foam for memory foam effect. Durable water and oil proof, abrasion-resistant vinyl leather upholstery for longevity.
If you want to try a different divided saddle chair, consider the Kanewell Twin Adjustable Saddle Stool. Its saddle consists of two pieces with a slight gap in the middle. The design can help improve airflow and take some pressure off common areas.
You can use the stool for longer work periods, and it will still be comfortable. It will also help with your back posture, and you can move around on it easily.
The genuine leather is flame-resistant, and it meets flammability standards. It’s also very durable and comfortable to sit on, and you can adjust the seat tilt to make it even more comfortable.
This chair comes in three height options, so you can choose the right one for you. The short chair can be 21 to 26 inches high, and the medium can be 22.5 to 30 inches tall. If you need more height, you can get the tall version, which is 27 to 37 inches high.
You can adjust the chair’s height and the angle based on how close you need to get to your workspace. That makes it suitable for medical offices and industrial spaces. You can also use it with a taller desk in a conventional office.
- Multiple height options, all adjustable
- Better airflow
- Durable materials
- Easy to roll around
- Great for long periods of sitting
- Significantly more expensive
- Can be a little tall for some.
- Improves back posture and enables virtually effortless movement about a work space
- Patented split-saddle reduces pressure points and improves airflow for a cooler and more comfortable experience, especially during longer periods of concentrated work.
Saddle Chair Buying Guide
As you can see, there are many types of saddle chairs out there on the market. From seat style, design and comfort, to added features and overall build quality, finding the right seat might take some research. We’ve created this buyer’s guide to help you get started.
All saddle seats or stools include a curved sitting area, so your legs are wider and hips are open, with a raised middle area that keeps you securely in place. The main style difference is in the split vs single seat styles. Also, some chairs have backrests.
The split-seat, or divided saddle, is designed with a small space in between the section where both parts meet.
With this design, you have two separate seat surfaces that, in some cases, are independently adjustable.
Overall, a split-seat allows for more flexibility and versatility with lateral movements or weight shifts on the chair.
Also, the gap between the two seats allows for more air flow and less pressure on the pelvic area.
The single seat style, on the other hand, is better if you need a more stable platform to sit on.
Your weight is spread evenly across the single cushion. This is preferred by some, especially as the split design can sometimes discomfort due to uneven pressure.
The Height and Size
Saddle seats are often designed to be higher than traditional chairs. Many models are 8-12 inches taller, which works well for certain professions working at higher surfaces. But, like all ergonomic task chairs, these chairs are height adjustable via pneumatic gas lift.
The height of your saddle chair can typically be adjusted using the lever found below the seat itself.
Using this lever you can either lower the chair height or elevate the chair, some will allow you to do this to a greater height than others. You must sit at a comfortable height so you do not feel any discomfort or pain as you work.
Also pay attention to the angle of the seat pan. In general, a saddle seat will allow for around 130 degrees of angle.*
As mentioned, this opens up the hip to thigh angle, causing less compression on the seat edge and allowing for a natural sitting posture.
*If you need a broader angle find a chair that allows for this (i.e. some saddle chairs are designed with up to a 136-degree sitting angle).
Of course, the quality of your saddle chair is paramount. For many, this is likely to be the chair that they sit in for the duration of the working day and therefore you want to ensure that your chosen seat is comfortable.
The design of the chair is very influential in your comfort. Substantial padding helps you to sit comfortably. If it’s too soft, you may develop hot-spots of pressure during the day. You want something firm enough to provide consistent comfort.
A waterfall design is also preferable, this relieves the pressure that is typically felt on the back of your legs by positioning them at a slightly elevated angle. Ultimately, this is also going to reduce any pressure on your back.
Back Support and Ergonomic structure
Without a backrest, you’ll rely more on your core to maintain proper posture. If this sounds challenging, find a saddle seat with a backrest. Many of them are removable too, in case you want to do a combination of core strengthening and support during the day.
Base and Casters
Any decent saddle chair should be designed with a sturdy 5-star base made from metal, nylon or another hard polymer, with durable, smooth and quiet casters.
Look for the right casters depending on the type of flooring you have at work (or home). For example, polyurethane (PU) casters work well for hard floor surfaces, like hard woods. Alternatively, nylon casters will work better on carpeted surfaces.
Many people who use these types of seats move around frequently (more on this below), so having the right wheels and durable casters is extra important.
A good quality saddle chair would be expected to withstand daily wear very well. This includes the material of the chair itself and the base. You don’t want to find yourself with a chair that has fraying and worn materials and an unstable base. After investing in a good chair, you would expect it to last a considerable length of time before beginning to deteriorate in quality.
Hint: Check the weight capacity as a starting point in terms of durability.
If you have a particular budget in mind when it comes to selecting your saddle chair do not be put off by expensive price tags.
You will be pleasantly surprised in the range of saddle chairs available, each retailing at varying price points. It is important to ensure that you aren’t compromising on quality for the price as this may result in the purchase of a chair that is in lower quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a saddle chair?
The design of a saddle chair mirrors the concept of a saddle itself. With thick padding and waterfall edging, this style of chair aims to enhance your comfort taking any unwanted pressure off your back, neck, spine, and legs. With the addition of a base and casters, you can sit comfortably in your office.
Who Uses Saddle Chairs?
Well, no matter where you work, a saddle stool or chair can be a great way to improve posture, add mobility, and engage core muscles during the day. But there are some typical use cases that we’re all aware of. Let’s review.
Saddle chairs are most common in dental offices and healthcare facilities. The seat allows your doctor or dentist to examine you while sitting comfortably. But they can quickly grab any tools or equipment for your exam.
Salon professionals may also use saddle chairs. Your hairdresser needs to be on their feet a lot, so they may want to take any chance they have to sit. Like in a medical office, a salon might have different tools in separate areas.
Are saddle chairs good for your back?
Saddle chairs help to strengthen your spine improving your posture as a result. As your muscles adapt to the new posture it will gradually correct itself over time. If this style of chair is something that you are unfamiliar with it is recommended that you introduce it slowly, building the time that you sit on it gradually over time.
Some individuals may prefer a saddle seat with a back as this provides additional support. The design of many saddle seats aims to relieve the stress on your legs ultimately helping to reduce any pressure on your back.
The best saddle chairs offer a simple and convenient alternative to the traditional office chair. Although commonly used in health care and salon settings, these seats will work in any office environment.
With the open hip angle and active posture, you may find that using a saddle seat relieves hip pain while also strengthening your core muscles.
Our top pick on the list, the Jobri BetterPosture Saddle Chair, is a simple but comfortable single cushion saddle design that many workers will love.
For a split-seat design, where you have more flexibility and independent adjustment options, we’re big fans of the Master Massage Berkley saddle stool.