Choosing the right chair mat for your office can be time-consuming and tedious. You know you want a chair mat that protects your hardwood floors from scratching and wear, but how do you know which mat is best for you?
We’ve rounded up some of the best chair mats for hardwoods to help you eliminate the stress and worry of finding a high-quality floor protectant for your office space.
This mat is ideal for multiple hard floors, including wood, tile, vinyl, and laminate. It is made without tin or lead and is toxin-free to keep your home safe and healthy. It is a durable material made specially to prevent damages on your hardwood floors.
While this floor mat is fantastic for hardwoods, including an anti-slide coating underneath, it is not suitable for carpets. One of the most significant issues with this mat is that it comes rolled up in shipping. It can be difficult to unroll and takes some time to flatten out entirely.
- 2mm thick PVC with anti-slide coating
- Designed specifically for hardwood floors
- 48 x 59 inches
- Scratch-resistant material is easy to clean
- Transparent surface is easy to clean and observe for scratching.
- The mat comes in different sizes and styles (including a lip or without) depending on your needs
- Perfect for multiple types of hard floors
- Is toxin-free and made without harmful chemicals
- This floor mat cannot be used on carpets
- The mat ships rolled up and can be challenging to unroll
- This mat may not flatten out for some time after purchase
What Customers Are Saying:
Users seem to be split on whether or not the mat lays flat. Some say it never truly lays flat with the edges curling under or over. Others say it took some time and use before it flattened out. Most are impressed by the “barely there” look of the mat.
- Designed for HARD FLOOR surfaces only. No gripper. Thickness: 2.0mm thicker, anti-slide coating on the underside which is designed to keep them firmly in place while in use.
- No Phthalate, No Toxins, No Cadmium, No Tin and No Lead. keep a healthy indoor environment while give your floor and furniture the best protection.
The AiBOB Office Chair Mat comes with several unique features. It is made of 100% pure polyethylene, containing zero toxins or harsh chemicals. Additionally, this mat includes a unique texture that provides a stable grip to prevent sliding. It also comes with a 60 day, money-back guarantee if you are dissatisfied with the product.
Despite the company’s claim that the mat is odorless, it has been noted to “smell” once the product package is opened. That’s common with this type of polymeric material. Also, this mat is thin and not ideal for heavier desk chairs.
- Made with 100% polyethylene
- 45 × 53 inches
- 6 pounds
- Textured for grip
- Cut out to fit under desks
- Toxin-free and BPA free. Made with 100% polyethylene
- Includes a unique texture that provides a stable grip and prevents sliding
- The size is relatively large and covers the desk space effectively
- Comes with a 60 day, money-back guarantee
- It’s not odorless, as promised by the company
- It is a thin mat and does not work with heavier desk chairs
- The thin mat is not comfortable for those who are continually standing
What Customers Are Saying:
Most customers like that the mat has minimal curling, stays flat, and doesn’t move around on the floor, but the biggest complaint is the overwhelming chemical smell that occurs after unpacking.
PERFECT FOR HARD FLOORS: Protect your flooring from scratches and dust of any kind with this perfect office floor mat for hardwood floors, tile, laminate, vinyl, concrete, and linoleum. The office chair mat is designed for Hard Floors only.
SAFE FOR YOUR HOME: The chair mat is no BPA & phthalate for a healthy indoor environment. It is 100% pure polyethylene chair mat. Rest assured you are buying a safe option for your home or office.
See also: Our recommendations for the best glass chair mats for your home office.
Rose Home’s Office Chair Mat comes in various sizes so you can choose the mat that fits your space. The mat’s high-transparency allows for it to blend in with your space, creating a discreet look. This mat is made of PVC and is BPA and toxin-free.
Unfortunately, this mat is flimsy and soft and not ideal for all situations. While it is a good standing mat, it is not necessarily perfect for chairs. The mat tends to slip as it does not have a textured grip on the bottom.
- Available in 6 sizes from 35” x 47” to 47” x 59”
- Anti-slip design
- Ideal for all floor types
- Comes in a variety of sizes to suit your needs
- Has high-transparency to blend in with your space
- BPA and toxin-free. Does not emit any chemical odors
- Easy to unroll and take care of
- The mat is soft and flimsy and is not ideal for chairs
- It tends to slip on hardwood as it doesn’t have a gripped bottom
What Customers Are Saying:
The majority of users like this chair mat has an anti-slip design without the sharp points on the bottom that might make marks on your floor. While some slipping does occur, many users say that buying the right size can reduce that issue.
Related: If you’re really concerned about scratching your wood floors, you can also opt for a chair without wheels. Keep it simple!
- Anti-Slip: Designed for use on all hard floor surfaces-tile, laminate, hardwood etc. Strong Grip ensures safety when walking on it.
- No Odor and More Healthy: We use premium PVC material. No odor and BPA free.
This office chair mat by Rose Home is made of 100% pure polycarbonate. It is toxin-free and doesn’t contain any tin or lead, making it family-friendly and safe for your space. It has high transparency and blends in well with your environment.
Additionally, this mat is rigid and thick, meaning it can withstand heavier chairs and foot traffic.
The rigid material makes this mat prone to cracking if not properly attended. This mat is also known to slide on particular hardwood floors due to a textured grip that is not ideal for all floor types.
- 48 x 36 inches
- About 3 pounds
- Designed specifically for hardwood floors only
- Made of 100% polycarbonate and is toxin-free
- It is odorless and doesn’t emit any nauseous chemical smells into your space like other brands
- The mat is durable and intended to be long-lasting
- It is made of a rigid and thick material, making it ideal for heavier chairs
- If not properly cared for, this mat is prone to cracking
- This mat does not include a textured or sticky grip on the bottom
- It is apt to sliding on certain surfaces
What Customers Are Saying:
While the majority of customers rave about how the mat showcases your wood floor through the clear mat, many were frustrated on how much the mat slips.
- ONLY FOR HARDWOOD FLOOR.
- Remove the white RPOTECTION FILM before using.
The SHAREWIN Chair Mat is designed to suit all hard floor types, including hardwood, laminate, vinyl, stone, tile, and concrete. It includes a frosting on the top to allow for easy maneuvering for rolling chairs while also maintaining slip resistance.
Additionally, this mat is made of PVC and is toxin-free.
While the topside of this mat certainly exceeds its competition, the underside does not include enough grip, making it prone to slipping. The mat’s material tends to bunch up if shoved against furniture for too long, which can make smoothing out wrinkles difficult.
- Available in two sizes
- Weighs between 3 and 4 pounds
- Narrow cut out to fit under desk
- It is suitable for all hard floor types
- Includes a frosted grip on top to allow for easy rolling for an office chair
- It is scratch-resistant and prevents damages to your floor
- Made of PVC and is toxin-free
- The underside does not have sufficient grip and is prone to sliding
- The material is thin and not ideal for heavier chairs
- The thin material tends to bunch up at the corners
What Customers Are Saying:
While the majority of users are happy with the mat overall, some mentioned that the size seemed smaller than the measurements, experienced curled edges, and issues with slipping.
- PVC CHAIR MAT FOR LIGHT USE:Suitable for hardwood floor：vinyl, hardwood, laminate, stone, tile and concrete. Not recommended for carpet. You can use it in the office, at home and so on. It's very convenient.
- ANTI-SLIP:Frosting on the surface can achieve a strong grip which prevent the chair from slipping while controlling the roll of the chair which also helps to considerably reduce the risk of leg fatigue.
The MuArts Store’s Thickest Chair Mat is 1/8in thick and weighs about 9lbs. It is made of a transparent material and promises slip-resistance, allowing for a comfortable roll for your office chair. It also comes with a 12-month warranty and lifetime technical support to offer peace of mind.
The mat is prone to sliding after much rolling or office chair use. Additionally, this mat can sometimes show scuff marks from shoes or wheels after much use.
- Sturdy PVC construction
- 35 x 47 inches
- Square shape with no narrow cut out
- About 9 pounds
- It is one of the thickest mats on the market with 1/8in in depth
- It is made of a transparent material that allows you to see your hardwood beneath
- Comes with a 12-month warranty and lifetime technical support
- Allows for easy maneuvering in your office chair
- Prone to sliding after uses
- Can show scuff marks from shoes or wheels
- It is not clear if the material is toxin-free
What Customers are Saying:
Many people remarked that the mat did take a while to completely uncurl after opening. Plus, it has a glossy finish, which isn’t quite apparent from the photos available online.
However, the majority of customers found the mat to be dependable and well-made, even if it has a rather plain design and lack of special features.
Related: Check out more must-have accessories for your home office chair
- Specifications: 47inch x 35inch x 0.125inch (length x width x height), weighing about 9LB. the thickest and heaviest compared to other hardwood chair mats of the same size
- Transparency: As crystal-clear as glass, the hard floor texture can be clearly seen through this 1/8 thick chair mat.
This chair mat by Lesonic is made of pure polyethylene and is a dark color. It is odorless, PVC and toxin-free, and made with recyclable materials. It is a durable material that is suited for several types of hard floors. Its multipurpose functionality allows it to be used under chairs, computer desks, plants, dog crates, or wherever your needs may be.
Due to the material of this mat, it is prone to bending. The corners can sometimes curl upwards, and if the mat is pressed against furniture, the position of the material will warp. Due to this, the mat can also be prone to shifting or sliding after a few uses.
- 47 x 35 inches
- Black rather than transparent
- Eco-friendly material
- Weighs about 9 pounds
- Made of polyethylene and is odorless and toxin-free
- Is durable and suitable for several hard floor types
- It has a multipurpose functionality to suit any of your needs
- This mat is made of recyclable materials and is safe for the environment
- The material is soft and is prone to bending or warping
- The edges of the material will sometimes curl up and will not flatten
- This mat can be prone to shifting after a few uses
What Customers are Saying:
Many customers did note that the mat takes a long time to fully unroll. You’ll likely have curled corners for at least a little while. Unfortunately, until the mat finally settles, the movement of your chair might be limited by these curled edges.
- ✓ PURE POLYETHENE AND EVA DESK MAT - Odorless, PVC free, & Phthalate-free, and free from tin, lead and other metals, with recyclable materials to keep your healthy indoor environment. WARNING - Not suitable to use with pile carpets and rugs.
- ✓ SUPER-DURABLE,NO CRACK, BEND, BREAK, SCRATCH OR DISCOLOR DESK FLOOR MATS - The unique surface texture allows your office chair casters to move easily while carrying out daily tasks, w/o leaving any mark on the mat, and helps to considerably reduce the risk of leg fatigue.
When looking for the ideal chair mat for your hardwood floor, there are a few key factors that you should keep a lookout to ensure you find the best option for you.
First, it’s essential to determine the intended functionality of the product. Some chair mats are thicker and more rigid than others. The harder plastic chair mats are often ideal for office chairs to ensure a smooth roll while also protecting your floors. Additionally, these chair mats often reduce sliding or slipping.
Softer chair mats are better for employees or people who stand for lengthy periods. These chair mats provide warmth and comfort, protecting the strain of the foot. Knowing what you intend to use your mat for will affect your decision-making process.
Size and Shape
Knowing the size and shape of the space where you intend to lay your chair mat can be another determining factor. You want to consider the size of the area compared to the size options in the product listing. You’ll also want to decide if your chair mat needs a lip or if you prefer your mat to come without one.
Let’s take a look at the answers to commonly asked questions about these types of mats:
How Do I Get My Chair Mat to Unroll and Lay Flat?
The best way to get your chair mat to unroll and lay flat is by laying it on a flat surface and placing weights on the four corners of the material. Leave it alone for twenty-four hours to ensure the material has enough time to flatten out on its own.
Should I Choose a Ramped Edge Mat or a Straight Edge Mat?
Ramped edge mats are great for people who frequently roll their chairs on and off the mat. The mats are often more pliable and easy to maneuver, clean, and use. Straight edge mats are more rigid but prevent chairs from rolling off the edge too easily, thus protecting the hardwood floor underneath.
What Is The Difference Between PVC (polyvinyl-chloride), Polycarbonate, and Polyethylene Mats?
PVC is softer and more pliable than other materials. It is best for mats that offer warmth and comfort to prevent foot strain and leg fatigue. Polycarbonate mats are more rigid and durable and are better suited for chairs as they provide more friction for the casters.
Polyethylene mats are more common. While not entirely safe or environmentally friendly, they are tough, light, and flexible, making them a good mat for all-around use.
While each mat offers unique features to suit different needs, the Office Chair Mat by Lesonic provides the most versatility, making it great for family homes and offices.
The most durable chair mat is MuArts Store’s Thickest Chair mat, as it has a thickness of up to 1/8in. However, the Rose Home Office Chair Mat is the easiest to care for and can be ideal for people who do not have much time to protect the mat.