Transitioning from a seated workspace to a standing desk is a wise move. It’s a positive step towards a healthier life.
A word of advice though – don’t forget about the little details. Like an anti-fatigue mat to support the body in its new working position.
Using a standing desk is certainly better than a regular seated desk, but it’s not without its own set of problems. Especially if it means standing on a hard floor all day.
That’s when an anti-fatigue mat can be a useful office accessory. And another way to ensure working at a desk doesn’t have negative impacts on your health.
If the concept of an anti-fatigue mat is something new to you, then look no further. This article explains what it is, how it works and why you should use one.
What is an anti-fatigue mat?
Workers typically spend eight hours a day, five days a week at their job. That’s a huge part of life spent at work. And if you’re in pain, it can feel even longer.
That’s why it’s so important to make your workplace as healthy and comfortable as possible.
A standing desk is a step in the right direction but standing all day can still put pressure on your feet and legs. This can then move into your back and lead to spinal compression.
An anti-fatigue mat can help to prevent these problems. How? By providing a cushioned surface to stand on that encourages the muscles in the legs to make tiny movements to stay balanced.
The science behind this has even been backed up by researchers. A study showed that anti-fatigue mats really can have a positive impact on people that stand all day by reducing the amount of stress on the body.
But with so many options available to buy, it can be hard to know which mat is best. To help you make the right decision, here are some useful tips on how to choose an anti-fatigue mat for your standing desk.
What to look for in an anti-fatigue mat
Unfortunately, not all anti-fatigue mats are created equal. There are some keys elements to look out for, though:
- Safe and secure – non-slip and non-trip
- Soft and cushioned, but also supportive
- Ergonomic design for maximum support
- Good quality and long-lasting – made from strong material that is easy to clean
And finally, your own personal budget will play a part in choosing an anti-fatigue mat. But thankfully there are models available at all different price points to suit most budgets.
Top anti-fatigue mats
Ready to go shopping for an anti-fatigue mat? Here are some of the top options on the market right now and why they’re worth adding to your office set up.
- All day support - For anyone who spends a lot of time on their feet at work or at home, this anti-fatigue kitchen floor mat is a life changer! The soft foam core reduces stress on your knees, muscles and joints by 32%
- Like walking on clouds - This anti-fatigue mat is ridiculously comfortable! The standing desk mat - which is most likely made of marshmallows, sunshine and cotton candy clouds - will make you feel lighter on your feet and more energized to work
Sky Mats has a commercial grade quality anti-fatigue floor mat. It’s ergonomically designed to relieve foot, knee and back pain.
It has a foam core that’s both soft and supportive, and it’s covered in a non-slip material with beveled edges to prevent tripping.
It even comes in nine different colors and sizes, and has a lifetime replacement promise.
For superior cushioning and comfort, Kangaroo uses high-grade foam in its anti-fatigue mat to reduce pressure and support the feet.
In fact, this mat has a ¾ inch thick cushion, covered by textured material to add traction and make it durable.
- Incredibly Thick Foam: extra thick, three quarter inch high mats are engineered to provide comfort while you stand for prolonged periods of time; helps reduce stress and fatigue on feet and joints
- Ultra Durable: mats are designed to withstand the test of time; strong and durable backing works well in high trafficked areas; will not bottom out over time thanks to premium strength materials that offer strong and durable support
This mat is also 100 per cent waterproof, which means it can be easily cleaned. And it comes with a 10-year guarantee to protect your investment.
Next, Gorilla Grip has an ergonomically engineered anti-fatigue mat made with high-grade foam. Like the model by Kangaroo, this mat is extra thick with ¾ inch of cushioning.
If your office has a hard wood or stone floor, a mat like this will really make a difference.
Other specs for the Gorilla Grip mat include a double textured surface, beveled edges and Prop 65 compliance. Plus, it has a 10-year guarantee and it’s phthalate free.
And finally, the Topo Mini by Ergodriven is a smaller mat for those that have limited space but don’t want to scrimp on comfort.
- THE BEST STANDING DESK MATS: Topo is the first anti-fatigue mat designed specifically for standing desks. Topo Mini boasts the same premium comfort mat material and similar next-generation terrain features in a smaller footprint.
- SIT LESS AND STAND BETTER: Spend more time out of your chair and move more while you stand, with Topo Mini’s meticulously designed ergonomic topography. Our infinite possible micro and macro movements provide a plethora of new and dynamic positions.
This mat is specifically designed for standing desks and has a 3D cushioned terrain to encourage movement. As well as a back ramp to quickly move into position when switching between sitting and standing.
The Topo Mini is also available in four different colors to customize your workspace.
Making the most of a standing desk set up
As more people work from home and seek to create a personalized workspace, an anti-fatigue mat can provide some welcome comfort. But it’s just the start of transforming your desk.
For people that want to stand to do their job, a standing desk converter is an affordable and effective way to make it happen. Add an anti-fatigue mat and you’re ready to go.
A balance board is another way to introduce some much-needed movement into the body while using a standing desk.
Balance boards encourage the feet and legs to move, which strengthens the core muscles and the back.
It’s a great way to prevent tiredness from standing all day but can be swapped for an anti-fatigue mat when you need more passive action.
And finally, standing desk exercises can make a big difference to your overall health. Not only does exercise get the body moving, but it’s a useful way to take regular breaks, which is equally as important for the mind.
So, don’t suffer in silence. If standing at a desk all day causes discomfort, don’t go back to a seated desk. Instead, consider investing in a solution, like an anti-fatigue mat.