If you’re getting tired of the constant soreness and back pain caused by your aging office chair, don’t run out and buy a new one just yet.
In this post we’ll give you 5 of the best memory foam seat cushions that will improve the support and comfort of your existing chair.
Memory foam cushions are an essential office chair accessory that can provide an immediate improvement to your chair, with specific benefits such as:
- Promoting better posture
- Supporting your lower back
- Adding additional cushioning and long-term comfort
- Minimizing strain on the Coccyx
These cushions off a quick and inexpensive solution to reduce the bothersome pains that we all experience after a long day sitting at the computer.
So check the chairs we’ve listed in this article, and hopefully, you’ll find one that does the trick and makes the day just a little more enjoyable.
If your chair is beyond fixing, it might be time for a new ergonomic office chair. Check out our buyer’s guide if you need help getting started.
Wait, what is memory foam?
Before we get to the cushions, it’s probably helpful to understand a little more about memory foam and why you’re choosing it in the first place.
Memory foam was actually first developed by NASA in the ’70s to improve cushioning and crash safety for pilots and passengers.
Also known as temper foam, it was then commercialized and used in a ton of different consumer product and medical device applications, including mattresses, pillows, shoes, wheelchair cushions, blankets and more. You might be familiar with the main producer: Tempur-Pedic.
Basically, a memory foam type of padding can provide longer-term pressure relief compared to normal foam cushions, with dense cushioning and temperature sensitive technology that molds to the shape of your body as you move and change positions.
OK, now on to some great choices for applying this comfort technology to your existing office or task chair.
5 Best Memory Foam Seat Cushions for Your Office Chair
#1 Xtreme Comforts Memory Seat Cushion
The first in our list is the Xtreme Comforts Memory Seat Cushion, which comes in a nice and simple design with a focus on long-term comfort.
This product is primarily intended to reduce pressure on the coccyx, but these cushions will also help to relieve general tailbone pain and back pain. Basically, it’s what a memory foam cushion is supposed to do. Nothing too fancy here.
Moving on to its physical attributes. The cushion weighs only 1.39 pounds and covers a dimension of 17.5 x 5.5 x 5.5 inches. It’s a lightweight solution to with enough surface area and cushion height (3.5”) so deliver relief your back and tailbone pain.
Adding to that, this type of cushion many improve your posture or improper spine alignment, plus it can improve blood circulation and reduce orthopedic problems, if any.
This cushion has an ergonomic design, with a two-layer foam base so that the seat does not compress and flatten too easily.
The durable mesh cover provides higher air circulation preventing sweating and keeping you comfortable on extremely rough days. And finally, talking about the sitting space. The product is pretty spacious and fits almost on every sitting surface.
Most people appreciate the dense foam with this cushion.
But, as with any office chair accessory, it’s not a one-size-fits-all type of product. Some people may need more foam support, and thus a denser cushion.
Overall, this memory foam seat cushion is very comfortable for the office, home, or even when you drive. It enables you to relax and work.
- Lightweight and has extra space
- Easily portable
- Reduces tailbone and back pain.
- Designed to provide relief from Coccyx.
- The durable mesh allows easy air circulation, and the product is washable.
- The foam is not dense enough. For some people, an extra cushion is required below this seat.
- SIZE 19 x 17.5 x 3.5 GET RELIEF FROM BACKACHE & PAIN WHILE SITTING : Hard and even traditionally padded seating surfaces create pressure on your tailbone causing Pain, Poor posture, Improper spine alignment, Decreased blood circulation, Pinched nerves & Orthopedic problems. OUR CUSHIONS CAN HELP!
- ASSISTS IN RELIEF OF SCIATICA NERVE, LOWER BACK PAIN, NUMBNESS AND POINT PRESSURE ON YOUR TAILBONE - promotes healthy weight distribution RELIEVING PAIN NATURALLY - Experience extreme comfort
#2 ComfySure Large Seat Cushion
Our next top pick is none other than ComfySure Large Seat Cushion. This is a high-quality product designed for the bariatric or overweight user.
The pillow is designed to support users up to 500 lbs. For people in this category, the hard, firm or bumpy seating that comes with a well-worn office chair just won’t cut it. You need more cushion and extra support.
So, if you’re not ready to splurge on chair in the big and tall category quite yet, then the ComfySurge is an economical and therapeutic solution.
It is built with 100% therapeutic memory foam that adjusts with every body type completely. Its nonslip features enable you to place it on any hard surface and not fear about slipping. Its U-shaped design reduces pressure on the coccyx and tailbone, improving healthy posture and blood circulation.
This type of cushion can deliver pain relief from tailbone injuries, herniated discs, pregnancy back pain, hip pain, hemorrhoids, and other spine-related issues. And it might actually decrease your doctor visits.
And to maintain hygiene, this cushion is purely washable. You can simply remove the cover and go for a machine wash. It will retain its shape and comfort, even after multiple washes.
- Premium quality.
- Health benefits
- Dr. recommended
- Comfortable shape for every body type.
- The weight is a bit high, and the cushion is not very soft initially. But with use, it gets softer.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Made from premium material designed to hold the cushions shape for a lifetime. 100% therapeutic grade memory foam, which molds to each individual body type, built for comfort, support and durability. Non-slip rubber bottom provides support on most hard surfaces and is a great for truck drivers, frequent travelers, office workers and pregnancy. Dimensions: 18.9X17.3X3.1".
- SUPPORT AND COMFORT: U-shaped cut out reduces pressure on the coccyx and tailbone promoting healthy posture and blood circulation. Enjoy painless sitting for long periods of time.
#3 Comfy Cush Memory Seat Cushion
If you are looking for a memory cushion that will provide you relief from back pain, the Comfy Cush Memory Seat Cushion is a basic cushion that will deliver relief in these areas.
This foam cushion is made primarily to relieve back pain and discomfort when you sit on your office chairs for hours. This product ensures that your body weight is distributed effectively all over.
The Comfy Cush is designed using five molds and ensures relief from complete back pain. Along with office chairs, it can be used on car seats, wheelchair seats as well.
Its 3 inches of cushion height offers enough depth and density to provide consistent support through the workday.
Along with that, this cushion was designed initially to relieve G-Force, which is excellent for pregnancy.
- 100% memory foam.
- Multipurpose use (office chair, wheelchair, car seat)
- Reduces back pain effectively.
- Reduces G-Force
- Initially, the cushion feels hard to sit on.
- COMFY CUSH ORTHOPEDIC SEAT CUSHION, designed in the lab using 5 molds, is engineered to relieve lower back pain. It truly is comfortable... check our reviews.
- CAR SEAT CUSHION - 100% memory foam cushion is 3" thick and doesn't flatten. It's not too soft, nor too hard. It's often used to raise drivers height. It is a Driving Car Seat Cushions
#4 Feagar Memory Foamn Chair Pad
Our next pick, the Feagar chair pad, has a unique ergonomic design with supportive contours and a breathable hollow to reduce pressure on sensitive areas.
This shape, along with the raised ends, is designed to provide relief for a variety of conditions, including sciatica, prostate conditions, lower back pain, coccyx pressure and pain, hip pain and more.
These ergonomic memory foam cushions can be used for your office chair (obviously) or anywhere else you need to add some more cushioning and support, such as the car. It includes a soft, removable and washable cover.
This lightweight and portable cushion has the following dimensions: 17.72 x 5.12 x 14.96 inches.
While it has a versatile design that can help with a lot of conditions and general spine alignment, make sure this cushion is big enough. If not, you’ll find that the raised sides and contours are not hitting the right spot, and it can get uncomfortable pretty quickly.
- Ergonomic design
- Affordable price
- Reduces back pain.
- Comfortable and has a non-slip feature
- The size is said to be a bit small for a few people.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: If you spend a lot of time driving and sitting, this seat cushion will gives you the support and relief you pains. Our car seat cushion is perfect for pain relief of sciatica, lower back pain, lumbar pain, Pelvic pressure and hip pain, lumbosacral spondylosis,sacrum sacroiliitis, prostate conditions etc.
- BREATHABLE HOLLOW : The Feagar office chair cushion with hollow design breathes well, It's the best choice for people with hemorrhoids, prostatitis problem and pregnant women.
#5 Keiba Coccyx Seat Cushion
Keiba Coccyx Seat Cushion is one the best memory foam seat cushions that ensures your comfort and allows you to work for hours without strains or pains.
It mainly ensures to prevent you from coccyx pain and provides the best comfort possible. This product is super durable, and you can use this for a long.
Not only coccyx, but this cushion also ensures to prevent you from back pain, sciatica, and provides good posture. Along with this, it has other features like you can use it on your office chairs, car seats, and homes.
The Keiba Coccyx Seat Cushion is also quick and easy to clean, without harming the quality of the product.
- Prevents you from coccyx pain, back pain, and sciatica strain.
- Ensures good posture
- 100% durable.
- Completely washable.
- Many users have complained about the thickness. To some, the thickness is not very great.
- MAXIMUM RELIEF AND COMFORT: Ultra premium memory foam layered with soothing gel technology provides ultimate support and comfort. New larger design with more gel coverage than other gel cushions. Designed to relieve pain and tension from the lower back, coccyx (tailbone), hip, spine, and sciatic areas. Firm density provides extra support.
- DURABLE: 100% Premium therapeutic grade memory foam combined with gel. Will not flatten out with prolonged use. Non-slip bottom ensures the cushion stays in place and will not shift or slide on any surface.
Buying Guide: How to Select the Best Memory Foam Seat Cushion for Your Office Chair
Before purchasing a memory foam seat cushion, you should keep in mind the breathability, durability, design and style, and ease of cleaning.
Breathability is one of the most important features you should look at. You don’t want a seat cushion that retains heat or moisture. Most modern office and task chairs are designed with this in mind.
So, if you’re layering a cushion over a chair, don’t compromise on this aspect. Make sure the fabric (i.e mesh) is designed to wick moisture and keep you well-ventilated during the day.
Our body weights differ from person to person. But the cushion should offer ample support for most body types. It needs to retain shape and ergonomics while adequately supporting the weight of each user over the long run.
One thing to look for when it comes to durability is a cushion made from 100% therapeutic memory foam.
Always check the specs and reviews to ensure the product will hold up.
Design and style
Obviously not from the comfort point of view, but design is genuinely important for seat cushions.
Since the prime reason to choose a memory foam cushion is comfort, proper design and style must ensure comfort.
Do you want something that blends in to your current chair, with consistent color and style? Or is the design less important than pure comfort?
In either case keep an eye out for additional design features, such as non-slip and textured surfaces, ergonomic shapes and raised contours to support the tailbone, hollow middle sections to reduce pressure on the perineum and improve breathability.
Ease of Cleaning
Hygiene is also an important thing to keep in mind, especially when talking about a seating product you’ll use on a daily basis. Make sure you pick a product that can easily be washed.
Most of the best memory foam cushions for office chairs and task chairs include removable covers that are washable; still, check before purchasing.
Q: How can I use memory foam seat cushions?
A: Just place the memory foam seat cushion on the sitting area. That will act as your primary cushion or your seat. Now you can comfortably sit on it and relax.
Q: Which is the best memory foam seat cushion?
A: In our view, the best memory seat foam cushion is the Xtreme Comforts Memory Seat Cushion that provides lots of comfort and relief from any back or spinal pain.
Q: How thick should a memory foam seat cushion be?
A: The approximate thickness of a memory foam seat cushion should be 3 inches. That provides enough additional cushioning for most users. However, if you are heavier, look for cushions with added thickness and dense foam.
As you can see, there are some good, low-cost options out there to quickly improve the comfort of your chair and provide therapeutic benefits during the workday.
Our top pick is the Xtreme Comforts Memory Seat Cushion, as it will work well for most people and handles the basics of comfort and relief without any major quality or sizing issues. But be sure to look closely at the specs and evaluate the designs based on your specific comfort needs.